His back legs & tail are unresponsive

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BB_simis_mom

We have two male rats: BB and Simi. Simi has been the more aggressive / dominant rat in his 1.5 years. They both stay in a large three-story cage in my son’s room.
Yesterday we found Simi curled up in a ball gaunt and a quarter of his normal size. His back legs and tail are unresponsive and he is not eating.
I have given him some children’s ibuprofen,
bathed him, moved him to his own cage in my room in addition to some sugar water.
This was sudden, which makes me wonder if maybe they we’re fighting and he fell or paralysis? He is chattering none stop

He may be experiencing Hind Leg Degeneration due to being older. For sure go see a vet. If he's injured they may be able to help but if it's HLD they will suggest PTS. I had a rat that developed HLD and I just had to make sure to clean him twice daily with baby wipes and make his cage easy to navigate while also removing the bottom ramp so he couldn't climb up and fall.

hind end degeneration isn't this sudden. I would definitely consider a fall or a tumour on his spine causing this. How is he doing with the ibuprofen? Has he improved at all?

You would need to give the ibuprofen at 20 mg/kg every 4-6 hours (dose depending on his weight and the concentration of the ibuprofen you have)

Back