Hind leg degeneration??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danisaurus

Hello! My boy Glitch is under a year old... from my research this is way too young to have hind leg degeneration. However, for the last few days he has been dragging his hind legs and tail. He is still able to use his hind legs to groom and as you can see in the photo he will use them to some degree when walking around. However he is definitely pulling most of his weight with his arms. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain although he is not climbing in his cage and has significantly decreased motivation to walk or move around. He has been letting me feel around his legs without much complaint (normal wiggling). He has been eating, drinking and pooping fairly normally. He seems to have less tension in his tail than usual and compared to his brother. It seems fairly limp when I pick it up and drop it but he will respond if I pinch it lightly. Any suggestions of what may be going on for him?? Thanks in advance! Any input is appreciated.
8009D96F-F7F0-4C4F-8029-485E97F14AFE.jpeg
F532B9F5-6C07-4806-BA74-6AFB46F67156.jpeg

Can you check his urine? Is there blood in it or is it foul.smelling? In males UTI can sometimes cause a type of paralysis. With antibiotics and pain/swelling relief from meloxicam or in a pinch ibuprofen, it should resolve.

Back