Hind end issues???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper_rat

My around 1 1/2 year old PEW has had lots of medical issues in her life and most recently some really bad pneumonia that almost killed her and put her in the hospital for 2 days. She lost a lot of weight and I have been working to put it back on while treating her lung issues but I’m noticing suddenly that her back legs don’t seem to be working well and her tail is limp. Could this be muscle atrophy from the extreme weight loss? Or something else?? I’ve called up my exotics vet that’s been treating her but the vet is on vacation until the 17th of March. I’ve set an appointment for then but I’m super worried about her. She looks like a walking skeleton and I feel like I’ve failed her as an owner💔 I’ve been trying to make sure she’s eating and giving her extra meals but it doesn’t seem to help. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do for her until the vet appointment. Thanks.
Mac video

I'm not entirely sure what the hind end thing could be other than HLD or just muscle loss from the sickness, as for the weight, you can try giving fatty foods like seeds or try to get Ensure/Pediasure for a boost. I'm sorry your little one isn't feeling great

I'm not entirely sure what the hind end thing could be other than HLD or just muscle loss from the sickness, as for the weight, you can try giving fatty foods like seeds or try to get Ensure/Pediasure for a boost. I'm sorry your little one isn't feeling great
Thank you. I’ve been giving her lots of nuts and seeds but I will try Pediasure. I currently have two old and sick babies and I love them so much but I worry that they’re suffering and it might be better to help them find peace😔 I don’t ever want my pets to suffer just to live a little longer.

I understand completely, I've been in the same situation more than once and it's never easy, but one thing I can tell you is that you know your rats better than anyone else!

Back