Hides won't let me pick her up

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reginamh

It's a long story about my rat we had a neighbor next door who passed away she had three dogs the animal shelter came and got the dogs but a month later me and husband was looking up at the window and he saw this little white head at the window so I started putting food out on the ledge of the window every morning and you I would see this little white red eyed rap come and get it then one day I saw that there was two of them so I asked the landlord if we could go in there and get the rats and come to find out that maintenance fans right through poison in there we were able to get one of them found out that there was three of them and they poisoned two of them well we still have the female one we took it to the vet she's healthy the thing is is that she doesn't let me pick her up still so let me pet her she'll take food out of my hand but she won't let me pick her up or she won't come out of her cage and she hides all the time is there anything I can do to make that better for hers cuz I don't want her to just be in the cage forever I love her any advice will be greatly appreciated we've had her for about 4 months and she was in that room for about 2 months after the lady passed away

If she's alone then she's likely terrified, some rats never want to be picked up but you can spend most of your free time sitting by the cage to just talk to her, or about anything really to try and build that trust between you, eventually she should start to come around but it could take some time(healthy treats are highly encouraged!)

Back