Hi from Vermont :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratluvr37

Hi all,
My name is Scott and I'm new to rats and to this forum. I'm currently adopting two females and one neutered male rattie through Mainely Rat Rescue, a wonderful organization that is centered in Maine, but has foster homes for rescued rats all throughout the New England area. There's a story to how I came to be adopting my new precious girls and adorable boy.

I teach seventh grade English at a middle school in New Hampshire. Each week we do a vocabulary lesson and, as part of the lesson, the students must use the vocabuary word correctly in a sentence. This particular week one of the vocabulary words was "foster." One of the girls in my advanced first period class used as her sentence "My mom and I foster rescued rats." I got very excited and asked her if this was true. She said yes and that they currently had two young females for adoption. I'd been looking online for local adoption centers all summer, since I was determined to avoid going anywhere near a pet store to buy any animals. In any case, I told Kylie that I was very interested in seeing the two girls. The very next day I had an e-mail from her mom that had several pics of Peanut Blossom and Kit Kat and an invitation to come to visit them. (As it happens I had had Kylie's brother in 7th grade as well and both the kids thought highly of me as a teacher, so mom was looking forward to meeting me). When I visited the first time it was love at first sight. Kit Kat was so outgoing and curious and she had climbed up on my shoulder in no time. Peanut Blossom was a bit more reserved but they were both just so friendly and sweet that they stole my heart. I told Melissa immediately that I wanted to adopt them and she said that she would speak to Mainely and that I was to consider them informally reserved for me until my appication went through and I could formally adopt them. I'm glad to say that my application was approved and that, thanks to the encouragement of my adoption counselor, I am also adopting Little Foot, a neutered beige hooded male. I can't wait for my cage to arrive so that I can set it and the playroom up and bring my beautiful ratties to their new forever home. I cannot say enough in praise of the Mainely Rat Rescue operation: they are wonderful, caring people who are passionate about rats and dedicated to seeing that all their rats get loving homes. They are also extemely helpful to newbies like myself. My Critter Nation single should be here any day. I've also purchased tons of toys and cage accessories as well as Harlan Teklad as their main food source. Melissa (Peanut and Kit Kat's foster mom) very kindly made me two beautiful hammocks for the cage and provided me with lots of fleece to line the cage with as well. I'm an extremely excited and eager father to be. :D

I can't resist sharing some pics. The first two are of my girls (Peanut is the beige):

Welcome to the forum! You will adore Little Foot - my neutered males are always just the sweetest, softest things.

:welcomewagon:

Your ratties are very cute.
Will someone be introing them for you so that they are living together before they come to you?
Three is a good size group and mixed sex groups are interesting.
Looking forward to lots of pics

Thank you to everyone for your kind welcomes to the forum. I'm looking forward to being here for the advice and also the companionship of getting to be with people who share a common love of rats.

To SQ--
I'm biased, but I think they are very cute, too. :D The plan on introducing Little Foot and the girls is for me to pick up the girls first and then go and have a play date together with Little Foot. They will all ride home together in a new carrier, so they can get further acquainted in a neutral place, and I will introduce them to their new home at the same time, so no one will have established residence or become territorial about it beforehand. Does that sound like it would work well as an introduction? That was what my adoption counselor suggested, and she is also Little Foot's foster mom.

:D Boy! do I remember the feeling of being a rat momma for the first time...Anyway...WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!! :joy: Your rattums are indeed very cute! :nod: As mentioned above mixed sex groups are interesting for sure! You are gonna love the squish factor of your neutered boy! :cuddle:

The learning curve is steep, however, there is no love like rattie love to make that curve worth every link, thread, and article!! It will be wonderful to hear about their personalities and quirks oh and did I mention more pictures?! :giggle:

I love this place! When I need some advice, I come here! :thumbup:

:welcome4: to the Rat Shack! Your ratties look adorable, and I'm sure that you will love being a rat dad. Your little ones seem to have all they need for a life of luxury. :)

Thanks again to everyone for the ever so kind welcomes. Jorats, I have to say this--finding your rat videos on youtube was what led me to this forum. They were inspirational.

I'm so incredibly excited! All my supplies, toys, cage accessories, etc, as well as my supply of harlan teklad lab blocks arrived from MRR in the mail today. I immediately called UPS and my Critter Nation will be delivered tomorrow so, if all goes well, I will be picking up Kit Kat, Peanut Blossom and Little Foot Saturday morning. I can't wait to get them home and start spoiling them. :D

ratluvr37 said:
These next couple of pics are of my neutered male, Little Foot:

welcome!!and congRATulations on your new ratties.

I'm just seeing this now- am so happy for you and for Little Foot, too- I am friends with L. Q. and the family who fostered your boy- in fact in the second photo there is a hammock I made for her and her foster ratties!
L. and her husband were sad to see him go but happy too that he'd have a great new home- and his own Girls :cheeky: to dote on him :lol:

can't wait to hear how things go with the three of them

Petunia said:
ratluvr37 said:
These next couple of pics are of my neutered male, Little Foot:

welcome!!and congRATulations on your new ratties.

I'm just seeing this now- am so happy for you and for Little Foot, too- I am friends with L. Q. and the family who fostered your boy- in fact in the second photo there is a hammock I made for her and her foster ratties!
L. and her husband were sad to see him go but happy too that he'd have a great new home- and his own Girls :cheeky: to dote on him :lol:

can't wait to hear how things go with the three of them

Hi Petunia,

It's very nice to hear from someone who is friends with L.Q :)

I just picked up both my girls and Little Foot today. Here's an excerpt from the e-mail I sent L tonight:

The trip home was amazing. Not a single squeak or even hint of a scuffle. they were snuggling with each other!! It was exactly as I hoped it would go.

When we got home they were all really excited exploring the cage. In the excitement and running around Light Foot (whose new name is Poseidon) was trying to "mate" with the girls so there was a bit of squeaking and wrestling around. The girls are much too quick for him, though :) They are all getting along great, although the energy difference between the girls and Poseidon is amazing. After a bit of wrestling around, exploring and playing, Poseidon pigged out on a couple of grapes, settled down in a hammock and promptly went to sleep. Typical guy :) Kitkat (Azalea) and Peanut Blossom (Daisy), were on top of him at various times and they all gladly share the hammocks together.

When I said good night to them the girls were still very energetic, so we hand wrestled for a bit (Daisy--the beige--especially loves to do this) and I petted them and got kisses. Poseidon was quite content to have me pat him as he lay in the hammock and he gave me a few sleepy licks as well :)

I'm extremely happy with the way the day turned out and that all my rattie family seem so happy. Both Daisy and Azalea were bruxxing a lot, and Azalea boggled a couple of times. It's so sweet when they do that.

Congratulations on your new additions! Aren't they just wonderful little creatures? Did anyone tell you about the 'down the shirt' trick? Put on a T-shirt and then a loose sweatshirt over that, then grab all your ratties and stuff them down your shirt. It's a great way to bond with them. If I stick my hand in the cage now with a loose sleeve, someone always crawls up it! LOL

OMG ubber adroable pics!!! and Vermont is amazing!!!! I love stratton mt and jay peak!!! I've stayed in new hampshire as well for a weekend a beautiful little old town you have there! Welcome!!!!

Joanne said:
Congratulations on your new additions! Aren't they just wonderful little creatures? Did anyone tell you about the 'down the shirt' trick? Put on a T-shirt and then a loose sweatshirt over that, then grab all your ratties and stuff them down your shirt. It's a great way to bond with them. If I stick my hand in the cage now with a loose sleeve, someone always crawls up it! LOL

They are absolutely AMAZING creatures, and have stolen my heart forever. They all want to be with me all the time, even during playtime out of the cage. They are so gentle, curious, intelligent and, as you rightly say, wonderful. All three of mine are shoulder riders and are trying to climb up my arms constantly :)

I didn't know about the 'down the shirt' trick, but Poseidon was trying to crawl down my shirt today when he was on my shoulder, so I'll definitely try it. :)

Back