Hi from the new guy...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acm3001

Came across this page while hunting for a rattie rescue in my area (Mississauga Ontario)

My wife (girlfriend at the time) introduced me to the wonderful world of ratties a number of years ago.
We started with 2 (Cookie - grey/brown head and bum with a creamy white centre, and Heisenberg a beige brown smart looking rat) obtained from the pet store.
Cookie passed on after a number of months and Heizie needed a friend.
We went to the Toronto Humane society and adopted Nibbles, a cute albino rat that was selected because she "nibbled" on my wife’s finger when she reached into the cage. All the others ran for cover but brave little nibbles defended their home and was abducted never to be seen by the other ratties at the Humane Society again.

At this point we were two ratties again (Heizie and Nibbles) we decided that introducing them took too long and we didn’t want a rattie to live on their own morning the loss of a friend for too long, so it would be best to have other friends to keep them company when one passed. Back to the Toronto Humane society and adopted Vanilla (pure white and Chocolate brown rat. Vanilla being a big old rat that we originally thought had health problems, smorse being the more active little one. These two had spent their life together, were dumped at the humane society together and needed our love together.
We introduced them slowly (after a period of quarantine) and chocolate passed a number of months after leaving only Heisenberg (who was getting old) and Vanilla.

One day we were pruzing the local pet store and there was one little rattie all by herself. We felt so bad for the poor lonely thing that it came home with us... enter Baby Balance (a beige little rattie who climbed into our hearts and into our lives)
Balance was mouse size compared to Vanilla, they lived in separate worlds for the first while and Vanilla could easily crush Balance if left on their own, but eventually became friends and moved in together.
Heizie passed away and was buried with her original pal Cookie (in fact all ratties were buried in the same location, even thought they didn't all know one another they heard stories and legends from those that passed through generations, in the end they all met...)
leaving Smorse, Chocolate, Vanilla (the Yoda rattie due to her size and the old age she lived to) and baby Balance (who never really out grew that name even into old rattie age)

My sister rescued 2 little ratties (named Harley and Davidson) from an individual who wanted to give up rattie ownership for a reptile. The two cuties were immediately renamed Pauli (albino) and Smorse (cookie looking)
5 ratties... what a handful.

Vanilla (the Yoda rattie) developed cancer at the beginning of her 3rd year. She was well near 3 and a half (a rough estimate as she was an unknown number of months old when we adopted her) when she passed

Sadly as time when on Nibbles passed followed by Smorse, leaving Balance and Pauli.

Back down to 2. Pauli was a little fire ball, always out exploring the world and getting into trouble. We lived in a one bedroom condo and there wasn't an inch of that place she didn't get into. She could climb, jump and do it all to reach her target. Often escaped her cage and came to visit us in the middle of the night, or show up at the door to greet us when we arrived home form work. Balance was a little mellow and more nervous of the world. She hated the floor and lived mostly on the play table, the cage or couch.

One day I went into the store to buy some kibble. The person ringing me up noticed I had rattie stuff, asked about my rats and asked if I wanted another. Someone had dumped one in a box in front of the store, they were unable to sell it and her parents didn't want her keeping it at home. She came with the name Muffy... a silly name but one she carried forever in our lives. Muffy passed after a number of months and when I returned to the store to buy more kibble for the now solo Pauli the lady asked how Muffy was... I lied; I told all kinds of stories about the adventures Muffy had with us and all about how happy and well she was. I never returned to that store again as I didn’t want to tell her Muffy passed.

My wife worked at a home based business, the persons son had a hamster (Hammy) who lived in the bathroom. No one wanted to care for Hammy and complained about his smell... My wife felt sorry for him and brought him home. Hammy was renamed Bucky (as we got him a little ball he ran around our place in... it was his Buck ball (a science joke you may not get)

Although Bucky lived in his own home a few times he did meet Pauli and Balance, but they never really hit it off (language barrier) Balance passed and Pauli was on her own. She was always independent and off exploring, even when she had a bunch of friends she would rather be off on her own, so we felt she could live out her time with just our company and the odd visit form Bucky.

Sadly our last rattie passed just before we moved.

Bucky was the only animal to make it to our new home and was buried in our yard a number of months after we moved in.

No more pets, no more rats, no more little ratties stories to tell at work, and no more little pitter patters as they run across our couch. It’s sad; we have space for 2 or 3. Not too many but a small group to introduce to our new home.

Makes me sad to think of all the rattie stories and adventures that went on and now their done.
I wish ratties could live for ever (Bucky was great too but ratties are my fav... sorry hamsters of the world)

Keep being good to your lovely little ratties, but if you find your out of time for them please let me know and I will give them a good home to live out their years. Ratties deserve the best.

In loving memory of Heizie Cookie
Nibbles
Chocolate Vanilla
Balance
Smorse Pauli
Muffy
Bucky

Love you all

Aww what a sweet introduction. Welcome to the Shack! I am sure someone here knows of a a rattie, or three, who need a forever home.

Welcome to the Shack. What a wonderful introduction of your ratties who have passed. There are many ratties needing homes I am sure someone will be able to help you find new and wonderful friends.

Welcome to the Rat Shack.
You have quite a knack for writing. I truly enjoyed your introduction and send you condolences for all your losses.
You've come to the right place... this is rescue rat central. We've got all kinds from all over.
I agree that 3 is "safer" than 2. Good luck in your hunt for lucky ratties.

Welcome Aboard!

I truely enjoyed your intro. All your ratties were so lucky to have you and you sound just as lucky for having them.
You've definately come to the right place, I am sure you will find new ratties in no time!!!

1. ooooOOOoooOO a boy!!!!
2. sorry for the loss of the past rats your had i am sure they are running happily
3. I am sure we could help you locate new rat friends, this site apparently has some rats, lol
4. nice to meet you, i hope you enjoy your stay

Welcome to the forum! Are you the person I found on Kijiji? If so, I'm so happy you joined!! If not.... welcome to the forum anyway ;)

Wonderful introduction, too.

Back