hey guys long time!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangel

Hello! Long time no talk! I just got two male ratties! Been soo long since owning some. Well i of course rescued them on kijiji. And when i got there one boy has bad headtilt :( i already have doxy here i can start him on but need the help on mixing a 50mg pill into syrup. What i need to do exactly. Like how much syrup to mix with the pill to make it at what mg?

video

Ignore the crying cat lol Here is a short video of his headtilt. It is pretty bad to the point of him trying to flip in your hands.
The old owners thought it was just cute what he did and did not know it was a illness(many many owners think this) But once i told him he went on to say yeah he would not spend money on a rat and how it took him everything to spend money on his cat to fix him :rolleyes:

Hey lil!! Long time no see :)

Do you have a weight on your lad so i can work out mixing and dosing? Is this a 50 mg pill of doxy or 50 mg/ml Doxyvet liquid?

Also no video posted, maybe upload to Youtube and paste the link here?

He's gorgeous!

okay use a ratio of 1 tablet to 2 ml of fluid (make sure at least half of the fluid you use is sweet syrup that will cover the bitter taste)

so eg. woud be 3 tablets and 6 ml of fluid (2.5 ml water til dissolved) then 3.5 ml of syrup)

his dose would be 0.26 ml twice a day

Doxy alone may not cut it though, do you have any antibiotics in your own med cupboard?

im going to go to the vet this coming week for baytril hopefully too. I just want to start him on at least that. Do you think he needs some pain meds too? I mean he has been like that i am guessing his whole life i wonder about the pain a bit.

If pain meds was it Children’s Advil ?

As always thank you so much for helping with the mixing and dosage. He is such a sweetheart and yes a cutie. I will for sure post some videos and such along his way of life.

Once i get his illness fixed up i am on the lookout for a better cage. They have a ok for now cage but no levels so that will be on my lists also. And got to start making some hammocks :D i have not made those in such a long time. Rust off that sewing machine.

Good luck with the little sweetheart! I'm sorry for the neglect he suffered with the last humans. Thankfully he's loved and safe with you now. ^.^ and that you've given him meds already.

Forever I'll regret not taking Robert to emergency and waiting the day or so for the vet appointment. His ear infection that caused his tilt caused him disability for the rest of his life and probably contributed to shortening it. He was such an active jumping climbing guy before and wasn't even safe to go around or sit somewhere unsupervised without falling after. I didn't know the outcome depended on immediate meds. 😢

so i found them a cage :D at least better then they had. The first cage is what they are in and the second is what they will go in. I do plan to take out that side like level thing and make a proper two extra levels instead. But for now this will work out better then what they have.

Attachments

• 6987bbb4-3e71-4e1b-8859-17c8ff0b4789.ebed22b3df73d25ed3d5c482dbf3aa73.jpeg
    6987bbb4-3e71-4e1b-8859-17c8ff0b4789.ebed22b3df73d25ed3d5c482dbf3aa73.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 117318622_3730631083636727_2157611370907544847_o.jpg
    117318622_3730631083636727_2157611370907544847_o.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 127
Back