Hemp bedding smell?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratty Man

For anyone who has hemp bedding, if you take some clean bedding and hold it right up to your nose, what do you smell?

I've tried many different kinds of bedding/litter and haven't found any I love. I opened the brand new bag of hemp and it's dry, not very dusty. The problem is that I think it smells a bit musty/moldy maybe. It's not a very strong smell and I'm not sure it's the smell of mold, but it does remind me of the smell of moldy hay that I smelled fairly often when I had horses. I was really hoping that the hemp bedding would work out but if it is slightly moldy, I don't want to use it of course.

For anyone who has hemp bedding, if you take some clean bedding and hold it right up to your nose, what do you smell?

I've tried many different kinds of bedding/litter and haven't found any I love. I opened the brand new bag of hemp and it's dry, not very dusty. The problem is that I think it smells a bit musty/moldy maybe. It's not a very strong smell and I'm not sure it's the smell of mold, but it does remind me of the smell of moldy hay that I smelled fairly often when I had horses. I was really hoping that the hemp bedding would work out but if it is slightly moldy, I don't want to use it of course.
did you use the bedding? i just bought hemp bedding from the eaton pet and pasture brand from amazon. it has the same smell, i work in a barn so i’m familiar with moldy hay and it smells like exactly like that. i assume it’s normal since you had the same experience but i thought i’d ask!

did you use the bedding? i just bought hemp bedding from the eaton pet and pasture brand from amazon. it has the same smell, i work in a barn so i’m familiar with moldy hay and it smells like exactly like that. i assume it’s normal since you had the same experience but i thought i’d ask!
I didn’t use it. I also used to work with horses and it didn’t look bad but I didn’t trust the mold smell.

I’ve tried many other kinds of bedding but for months now I’ve been using recycled newspaper cat litter and it’s been the best by far.

Back