Hematuria ...caused by enterococcus faecalis.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.emedicine.com/med/TOPIC680.HTM

Unlike streptococcal species, enterococci are relatively resistant to penicillin, with minimum inhibitory concentrations (MICs) that generally range from 1-8 mcg/mL for E faecalis and 16-64 mcg/mL for E faecium. Therefore, exposure to these antibiotic agents inhibits but does not kill these species. Combining a cell wall–active agent such as ampicillin or vancomycin with an aminoglycoside may result in synergistic bactericidal activity against enterococci.
The acquisition of vancomycin resistance by enterococci has seriously affected the treatment and infection control of these organisms. VRE, particularly E faecium strains, are frequently resistant to all antibiotics that are effective treatment for vancomycin-susceptible enterococci, which leaves clinicians treating VRE infections with limited therapeutic options.
Diet
In patients who are persistently colonized with VRE, attempts are occasionally made to eradicate the bacteria. Enteral antibiotics such as bacitracin rarely achieve long-term success. In a small recent study, probiotic therapy (Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG in yogurt) was used to successfully clear VRE colonization and infection in renal patients.27

i'm not sure if this new med i've been using on my rats' resp infections would be of any help, but its cheap ($2 a shot that last 14 days) and has worked wonders on resp infections. the brand name is called convenia and is used in place of amoxil. the medical name is cefovecin sodium. its a new drug in canada but has been used in the states for 1 year and the UK for 2. it is marketed for cats and dogs but like i said, its been a great success with resp infections in my crew. i don't know what family of drug it belongs to though so i don't know if it would be suitable. but if this is resistant to our common medications maybe something that is just new in canada and so presumably to this might be effective...?

so glad to hear that henry is doing so well and i do hope that all this is now solved and over with. its been a scary ride to read about, i can't even imagine the stress and fear you and your family must have been under.

mamarat said:
Henry hasn't bled for the last 3 days. The vet said to start meds only if he were to bleed again.
:happydance: :joy: :thumbup: :woohoonaner: :hurray: :cheering: :banana: :joy: :bliss: :balloons3: :flower: :wow3: :pilldance: :001:
HCrazy.gif
HDanceMickeyMinnie.gif
HDanceMickey.gif
HCelebrateMickey.gif
HDrinkRat.gif

twitch said:
i'm not sure if this new med i've been using on my rats' resp infections would be of any help, but its cheap ($2 a shot that last 14 days) and has worked wonders on resp infections. the brand name is called convenia and is used in place of amoxil. the medical name is cefovecin sodium. its a new drug in canada but has been used in the states for 1 year and the UK for 2. it is marketed for cats and dogs but like i said, its been a great success with resp infections in my crew. i don't know what family of drug it belongs to though so i don't know if it would be suitable. but if this is resistant to our common medications maybe something that is just new in canada and so presumably to this might be effective...?

so glad to hear that henry is doing so well and i do hope that all this is now solved and over with. its been a scary ride to read about, i can't even imagine the stress and fear you and your family must have been under.

That's what my dog was given after his attack. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I see my vet.
Thanks twitch!!

Crossing my fingers that the right antibiotic is found to help your rats. Hopefully they tested what antibiotics this bug is sensitive to, which is why they suggested the amoxicillin. It's good to finally know what has been causing all the problems.

Back