Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper_rat

My young rat, carrot cake, just woke up with a bad eye infection. I check on her regularly so this is new and not something I noticed before. She is now lethargic and sleeping all the time. I’m scared for her and don’t know how to help. We have a vet appointment for 6 but that’s several hours from now. Is there anyway I can help her before the appointment? Money is no issue and I will do anything to help her. I’ll try to get a better picture but her eye is sort of sunk and she keeps it closed.

Attachments

• 18F1005A-5703-4CF4-9E8D-143EB468E5A3.png
    18F1005A-5703-4CF4-9E8D-143EB468E5A3.png
    157 KB · Views: 102
she may have punctured her eye which does happen fairly often. She probably hurts but since your appt is in 6 hours I don't recommend doing anything. Offer her soft foods because chewing will be painful. A sick or injured rat often will hunker down to heal. When she's away I would definitely hold her sides to your ear and listen to her breathing just in case there's a respiratory infection going on as well. Sniff over her eye for a foul smell, that would indicate infection.

Back