Help!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsGirlpants

I have a rat that is far too clever and far too wriggle to get him to take his painkiller and anti inflammatory medicine..
Goose is 10 months old and injured his hind leg and has been given this medication to have once a day..
I have tried different foods like peanut butter and baby food and I have tried wrapping him up like a burrito but he either has a couple of licks and walks away or wriggles so much you can't keep hold of him..
Does anyone have any suggestions.. 🐭

I don't know if it will work for all rats, but I flavor my meds with strawberry syrup, and poke the syringe through the cage bars, and call the rat meant to take it. They usually lap it up in a hurry, so their cagemates can't get any! Works like a charm every time. And for some reason, even my super hard to medicate rats have preferred this method. I was having to wrap them up, or use lilspaz method, until on a whim, and out of frustration I tried this. Good luck!

Also, I give a special treat to the med taker after the meds.

Well ladies I tried lilspaz way a few times so did my daughter I really should have videod them as it was hilarious to see us fail miserably, our Goose was not having any of it..
Thank you for your suggestion Dena I will give it ago.. at the moment a teaspoon of melted ice cream is the only way he'll take it..

What is it flavored with? For some reason, rats seem to really go crazy for strawberry syrup (at least in my experience), and I've tried ALL KINDS of different things to hide it in, or flavor it with!

Its just a teaspoon of plain vanilla it was all I had and I had tried lots of other things it was my last hope, and thankfully it worked and he takes his medication with no problems now.
I let it melt and sit for a minute, as once he starts he doesn't stop and I dont want him having brain freeze lol..

Back