help :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7E66115E-966B-4EB9-A62D-159D3158AFB1.jpeg

all she wants to do is snuggle now

Can you go to another vet? I see that you are in The USA so there should be another vetm hopefully more knledgeable bout rats that you can tajke ther to see.
Rats become ill and die fast so she needs to see a vet asap!!
and hopefully be given baytril + azithromycin ...... orally, twice a day ... for at 6 weeks if they help.. Azithromycin can be purchased from a pharmacy with a prescription from the vet, but is not very effective if not given with baytril. Baytril is a main vet antibiotic given to many species of animals

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/enrofloxacin_baytril.phphttp://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/azithromycin.php
we talked to another vet and they said it’s a heart problem :( she’s going to take some meds for her heart now

and does anyone know how to get her to gain weight? she’s barely been eating and i’ve had to syringe feed her because she won’t eat anymore:( i think it’s because her meds or because she’s sick. i’ve been trying to syringe feed her ensure. any other ideas? this is so heartbreaking to me

update: daisy died in my arms tonight after fighting very very hard. she had a seizure right before she died and i told her i loved her and that if she wanted to go it would be okay. i’m so glad i got to have her in my life. she was a very very special little friend and i’m so grateful she chose me to spend her last moment with. thank you guys for your help i really appreciate it.

Oh no so sorry for precious Daisy. I'm grateful she had you there with her now and during her life.

When a rat stops eating I think it's usually from being sick and not their meds.
I'm not sure about ensure. I used to feed my kiddos mushy red lentils, their favourite thing to get them to take meds. If needing liquids and extra nutrients, blended Vega One powder with water and careful syringe feeding.

Last edited:
Back