Help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bunsi

Hi! I am still very new in this community, I have owned 1 rat before and now have 2 male rats, 1 recently has been acting.... weird over the past week. He has been tilting his head and hasn’t been able to balance. He is still eating and seems normal besides this but it still worries me as I’ve never seen this and it seems to be getting worse. I don’t know what to do as I can’t afford to take him to a vet, which is about 2 hours from me.

It sounds like an inner ear infection. Can you sniff his ears.? See if anything smells bad(infection indicater) if you can post your location there might be someone in your area that could help you get him to a vet seeing as he'll need a course of medication if it is an ear infection. My rat Mazu had a really bad ear infection and now she's permanently damaged(still happy and healthy but very dizzy at times) I hope all goes well with him and maybe someone else will come along and be of more use- I'm writing this at 4:14 AM so my mind isn't the sharpest right now

This may sound strange but while you still actively seek the appropriate medicine, perhaps try cleaning his ear with coloidial silver. (Make sure it has no other addatives.)
It MAY help ease the severity while you look for proper meds.
I used coloidial silver on abandoned newborn rabbit kits with eye infections. My vet refused to treat as he said they were too young and too close to death. He only wanted to euthenize. Long story short those two rabbits are now 2 years old, spayed and neutered, and ruling my rabbit room made just for them haha.
Anyhow, give it a shot?
Please after dripping some in his ear and masagging carefully, take a towel to try and dry it very very well so the extra moisture doesn't feed any of the nasties.

I'm not sure if I'd put drops in his ear, as this isn't usually done for rats. If his ear is infected, it may make things worse by putting something in it. He needs some antibiotics. You may have some in your medicine cabinet. Also, I believe he needs either anti inflammatories, or metacam (not steroidal anti-inflammatory). In the meantime, you can give him some children's ibuprofen. Here is a site that may be helpful. Www.ratguide.com

There's lots of good health info and medication info on there that may help you. He will possibly need antibiotics for 4-6 weeks to completely cure the infection. Hope he feels better soon.

Antibiotics are a must with inner ear infection. Amoxicillin, clavamox or Augmentin,Baytril or ciprofloxacin, azithromycin would work. Can you check your own med cupboard for leftover antibiotics?

Back