Help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miranda Coty

So I decided to get a pet rat. I read up on everything I was supposed to and did what I was supposed to. This morning I left for work and my little guy seemed ok he was a little sleepy but he always is in the morning. When I got home he was laying in the bottom of his cage barely breathing and basically lifeless. I tried so hard to get him back as he was still trying to take breaths and his heart was still going. Unfortunately I lost him. Yesterday he was all fun and go lucky like he usually is and this death happened very fast. Can someone please help me understand what happened and what I could possibly do different next time? I am very shocked as to how this happened so fast. TiA.

Maybe a heart attack, stroke? Do you know how old he was? Was he from a pet store? They aren’t really the healthiest rats, he may have already been sick when you got him. I’m sorry :(
If you get more rats in the future please get more than one, they need their buddies.

He had a buddy. And yes I did get him from a pet store. I rescued his buddy. But he seemed fine until today. Happy running around being goofy. I am just so confused as to what could’ve happened.

Unfortunately one of my rats passed away recently, I was luckily able to get him to a vet to be put down. He was very healthy and happy and all of the sudden he was unable to walk and at deaths door. He was one of four rats I saved from a little kid that got them from a pet store, two of her rats died, one before I arrived and one shortly after. The vet suspected either a stroke or an infection that lead to a neurological problem. It’s very sad but I’m sure he had a good life before it happened and felt safe and happy. These things happen and are out of our control. What I’ve learned is that pet store rats are quite unhealthy, as two of four died. One of stroke and one of megacolon before I could get to him. I understand how devastating it is.

Thank you. I just needed to know that is wasn’t something I did to cause this. I would hate to think I caused him any pain. I know he is in a better place now and I at least saved him from the pet store horrors.

Thank you. I just needed to know that is wasn’t something I did to cause this. I would hate to think I caused him any pain. I know he is in a better place now and I at least saved him from the pet store horrors.

I know people say not to get rats from the pet store as they are unhealthy and it encourages a cycle of breeding sick rats however I do believe that those poor rats are still alive anyways and you really did save him. In the future you could search for a rescue or from a reputable breeder and hopefully the ratties will be in much better health. He could have been snake food or doomed to living in a crowded tiny glass box. Don’t blame yourself, it sounds like he had no symptoms or cause to believe anything would happen. I’m sure if you’re on here asking if you’ve done anything wrong it’s because you cared a lot and try to inform yourself, I think that shows that he was in good hands.

How long have you had him?
Was he exposed to any new rats recently or people who have rats?
Did you visit anywhere there were rats such as a pet store?

It may have been something like a heart issue, or a stroke
or it may have been a secondary infection - they can kill really fast
Rats hide illness so by the time we notice that they are ill, it is a medical emergency

I am so very sorry for your loss

Back