Help :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Superherorats

Came home today to find one of my rats missing, realised that they have chewed a hole in the corner of the plastic tray at the bottom of the cage!!

First of all, why have they suddenly done this? We’re experiencing probably the hottest heat wave in my lifetime atm, I don’t know if this would motivate them? It’s unbearably warm!!

Second of all, can they chew through wire as well? I’m going to have to dump their whole cage and buy a new one but all the ones in the local pet store have plastic bottoms, is an all wire one better?

They’ve lived happily in this cage for 7 months, I don’t know why they’ve suddenly changed their minds lol

Rats can chew through almost anything
As for plastic bottoms …… the martins cage (pic below - in this cage the wire levels must be covered to make solid floors), for example is a wire cage that sits in a plastic pan and rats do not chew through the pan so if you find a wire cage that sits into a plastic pan, that should be safe ……. or an all wire cage with plastic pans for floors inserted over the wire floors (like the CN cage) should be ok, although they will chew the pans

martins rudd cage.jpg
cn.jpg

Did you find your rattie?
They may have been bored or seeking a cooler place and just decided to chew a hole

If still missing, put down a cage or box containing a house with bedding that smells like the other rats, a water dish and yummy food that can not be carried away …. so hopefully s/he will get something to eat and drink and decide to snuggle up for a nap in a safe place with familiar smelling bedding …. then hopefully you will find you napping rattie and return them to the cage. Sprinkle flour around the cage so that if the rattie comes and leaves you will see what direction the rattie headed off in. Hope s/he is soon home

Thanks for the quick replies :) was having a panic there, very long, very hot day at work and the come home to that was just a bit much lol.

Thankfully Mr. Rattie hadn’t strayed too far! He was hidden in behind the cage. They are maybe bored :( I’m moving house at the minute and unfortunately they have probably been a bit neglected, although once I move they will have a whole room to themselves :)

Back