Help with wounded rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikki

Hello there i dont usually use fourums for much so i dont know if im doing this right, sorry if its in the wrong place ect. But i have two rat girls and they got into a fight, my smallest one florian got a knick on her knee that was bleeding quite baldy. I stopped the bleeding about an hour ago but now the wound is quite swolen and she is becoming sluggish. Its 5 am here in NZ and no vets are open for three or so hours. Can anyone help me out, is the swelling normal. I just want to help my we girl. And i have separated the girls of course.

Here is the wound in question. She is drinking and grooming and eating too.

Attachments

• 20180306_052442.jpg
    20180306_052442.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 151
The swelling has now gotten much worse, it is at 20mm(.8"). I will be taking her to the vet in an hour. I have also spoken to the after hour vet and they asure me she should be okay. Any tips are still appreciated though.

She is okay now. She has haematoma that should heal over the next 5-14 days. So glad my lil one is okay.

Did they explain what it was? Basically your rat had a puncture wound that sealed quickly so she bled under the skin. Most times the body will reabsorb this blood but occasionally it may become an abscess. Gross but not too serious. If it doesn't reasorb in a few days, let us know and we'll let you know what to expect with an abscess and how to care for it at home.

Yeah, she is on a ten day antibiotic course, so it shouldn't get infected. But if it does become so, ill post up here. Thanks for the help. :) The swelling has gone down to 19mm and she is up and about eating and drinking grooming ect. Kinda makes me feel bad she cant free range right now. Poor girl is board out of her mind.

Back