help with pneumonia treatment

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdevine00

My <1 year old girl recently developed pneumonia. She was 100% healthy before and has never had any respiratory infections. The moment I noticed her symptoms, I started Baytril+ doxycycline and scheduled a vet appointment. She was not improving after ~24hrs so I added prednisone from previous Rx. The vet gave her a SQ dexamethasone and Rx for nebulizer albuterol but said to continue the baytril/doxy. She was doing better yesterday and this morning after a few albuterol treatments. However, after her most recent albuterol treatment she started to decline again. She seems to get very stressed in the nebulizer box even though there is bedding/treats/hiding place and I have a quiet MESH nebulizer. Is it worth it to continue with albuterol neb or does the stress outweigh the benefit? I have Amoxicillin/Tylosin and am considering starting it since there is not much improvement. I was curious if anyone has had more/less success with doxycycline+baytril vs amoxicillin/tylosin+baytril. Also, I would appreciate any recommendations for other antibiotics/treatments to request form vet. Thanks!

Back