Help with our Mischief

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueberrytrain

Hello! My name is Ko, and me and my fiancé Rory have 3 beautiful boys who we love so very much. We actually lost one of our other boys earlier in the month to pneumonia and this forum was so much help when we were in a pinch, but I'm looking for a little bit of help that I needed to ask about..

We had a case of mites that was wreaking havoc upon our poor boys, and also a little bit of sneezing and whatnot as well, but no other symptoms to date. Just a lot of itchy boys.

Our first boy Sesame was taken to the vet exactly two weeks ago today, and also today for a follow up. The vet (not an exotic animal specialtist but she is a specialtist for small animals at the vet we take them to, and she's the best we have access to) did an injection for him two weeks ago, and just today as well. He was also prescribed 0.2 ml of SMZ-TMP Liquid that we gave him for two weeks, and he seems to have recovered from the mites and the sneezing. Sesame has been doing so much better save for a little bit of the porphyrin around his nose every once in a while, which we think may be acquainted to stress because we had to "quarantine" him from his cage mates.

Our second boy Octavius gave us a little scare today. We came downstairs to get Sesame for his appointment and Octavius was squeaking a little with his breathing, which scared us a lot in regards to his brother just passing away a few weeks ago. So, we brought him as an emergency visit along with Sesame today, but he didn't, and hasn't as of 5 PM EST, squeaked any more for the whole day. The vet is doing the same treatment that she had done for Sesame, the injection, but save for a different dosage of the same antibiotic (SMZ-TMP liquid), at a 0.16 ml instead.

Our third boy Dabi has an appointment soon as well, but he has none of the symptoms the other two have. He is mainly just itchy from the mites.

All three of them have not lost their appetite in the slightest, they still boggle, they still get excited for treats and some little playtimes and out of cage times as normal. I was just wondering if,

1. Sesame's porphyrin is something we should be worried about (The vet said only if he starts sneezing to be more worried, but he has not sneezed at all.)
2. If Octavius should be on something more, just because we are scared about the squeaking we heard earlier today. Other than that one bout of squeaking he has been normal as ever.

I thank whoever can help in advance! I can supply pictures of whatever is needed, and if Octavius begins to squeak again I will get a video.

If you message lilspaz, she can help with meds, and dosages. As far as mites, you need to treat every rat in your mischief with Salem tin, or revolution. You can use the kitten one, and it doesn't take much per rat. You'll need their weight in grams. I also know injected antibiotics are not the greatest for rats. Something about burning them. You can ask your vet for baytril, and you'd need to give it for 4-6 weeks. You can show your vet the page www.ratguide.com for meds and dosages. It's a vet contributed site, and lilspaz is also a contributor I believe. Best of luck! Hope your babies get well soon!

If you message lilspaz, she can help with meds, and dosages. As far as mites, you need to treat every rat in your mischief with Salem tin, or revolution. You can use the kitten one, and it doesn't take much per rat. You'll need their weight in grams. I also know injected antibiotics are not the greatest for rats. Something about burning them. You can ask your vet for baytril, and you'd need to give it for 4-6 weeks. You can show your vet the page www.ratguide.com for meds and dosages. It's a vet contributed site, and lilspaz is also a contributor I believe. Best of luck! Hope your babies get well soon!

Thanks for your reply, Dena! We are actually taking Octavius in for another vet visit today because the squeaking became constant. I did a lot of research and it's definitely signs of a URI. Hoping for the best with the vet, but I'm definitely going to bring up Baytril, etc. Any tips on the best way to give rats meds? We tried mixing it with Octavius' food but after one dose he immediately doesn't want the same food again. He is eating minimally but whenever the meds are mixed he freaks out and doesn't eat it. It hurts trying to force it into his little mouth :(

I use a little bit of strawberry syrup, and mine will hold the syringe and lap it up, then fight me for the empty syringe.

Back