Help with my rats nails

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! My rat has had these two nails (the ones in the middle) for some time that are longer and thicker than her other nails, and yellowish. I am considering trimming her nails (I never have before) but I’m concerned if it will hurt her since I’m not sure why her nail is so thick in the first place. I’ve watched videos on how to trim nails when you can see the quick underneath, but it makes me nervous to trim this specific nail because you can’t see the quick. Has anyone trimmed a nail like this before? Any advice?
B462FCBA-29B1-4E01-A01D-818D02B15171.jpeg

Although I have never trimmed my rats nails, you can get her a lava ledge that will file her nails down if you’re too nervous to cut that nail. You can put the ledge some place that she walks on often to insure that it will grind the nail down

Although I have never trimmed my rats nails, you can get her a lava ledge that will file her nails down if you’re too nervous to cut that nail. You can put the ledge some place that she walks on often to insure that it will grind the nail down
Thank you! I have a couple in her cage but she tends to ignore them lol!

Hello and welcome. Aside from concern of her getting hurt, do you think her nail is bothering her?

Her sister passed away a couple of months ago and sadly I won’t be getting anymore because I won’t have much time to spend with them next year.

I’ll continue to love and take of her until her last days. We spend every day together. I just know that after she passes, I won’t have as much time because I plan to start working full time.
By the way, how old is she?

Thank you! I have a couple in her cage but she tends to ignore them lol!
I put the water drip just a little higher on the cage and put the lava ledges in a position so they have to climb up on them to get to the water, can also do this with their treats or favorite toys, depending on the cage size, putting many creating a sort of staircase they have to hop from one to the other to get to something special they want should work too... this is also good to entertain a 'bored' rat

If the lava ledges don't do the trick you could always file them down with a nail filer or if you have small pet nail clippers that would work as long as you dont cut the quick and if you do you can use flour or baking soda to stop the bleeding.

Back