The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mialee

I recently got 2 1 year old female rescue rats to go with my 1 year old lone rat (also a rescue). They hit it off straight away, as I’m using the carrier method - which is working really well.

I am on stage 4 and they are now in a Furat Plus cage with 1 hammock. They haven’t fought since stage 1. However, I have noticed that they’ve started pinning each other sometimes and occasionally squeaking at each other but they ALWAYS sleep together. This is really confusing me -

Do I move them up a stage because they’re sleeping together and don’t seem territorial? Their ‘pinning’ doesn’t seem aggressive, it’s more like a ‘telling off’ from my lone girl - who I believe is alpha.

Or do I keep them in their current cage before moving up and add more accessories to keep them entertained for now?

I feel awful that they don’t have much to do, but I understand it’s all part of intros.

I need advice!!

Attachments

• EFCDBDB2-EC71-4C6A-935D-0EDF7C4109B2.jpeg
    EFCDBDB2-EC71-4C6A-935D-0EDF7C4109B2.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 286
Pinning and squeaking are just a sign of a hierarchy being established. As long as there is no blood, your rats should be fine. My rats, who were raised together, pin each other and squeak routinely.

Cute rats you got there too!

If they are ok living together, then a larger cage neutral cage with things that are interesting sounds like a good idea.
If you are unsure please check out joinrats.com

Back