Help with dosages?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SqueakyBois

My boys have had a chronic respiratory issue since I got them, and they've been to the vet three times. I don't remember dosages but they were on:

Early March (just one of them): Doxy/Azithromycin twice a day for 2 wks
Mid April: Doxy/Baytril twice a day for 4 wks
Late June: Doxy/Azithromycin twice a day for 2 wks

And now they're honking/breathing loud again so I just took them again this morning. I'm worried this last time is probably my fault -I had to drive cross country with them, and so they were in a large dog carrier for almost 2 weeks. I gave them time to run around outside, but since they're already prone to illness, it may have still not been enough ventilation. I don't know good vets in the area, so found one that had good reviews and someone had recommended them in this forum, but a long time ago. They didn't really seem to know much about taking care of rats, and what they told me doesn't seem like what my previous vets had recommended, so I wanted to know if y'all can give me some advice.

They were prescribed:
Doxy: 0.5ml 2x a day for 30 days (concentration 25mg/ml)
Baytril: 0.06ml once a day for 30 days (concentration 125mg/ml)

They're both around 400/450g (I'm reaching out to the vet to ask exact weights and yeah I know they're a little chubs)

I'm mostly concerned about the Baytril. I've always been told to give it to them twice a day, and I think with either the doxy or baytril, one of my previous vets told me it expires after 2 weeks. Does what this vet prescribed look right? They're only 7 months old, and so one of my concerns is overmedicating and having them start becoming resistant to antibiotics, so I'm wondering if baytril just once a day might actually be better. Anyway, any thoughts would be very helpful! I have no idea how to tell if a vet knows rats or not, but this one certainly seemed less confident than my previous one.

450 grams isn't that big really lol.

Ok so the doxy is waaaay off.
Should be 0.18 ml twice a day

The baytril should be 0.05 ml twice a day. Baytril CAN be given once a day but it's preferable to give twice.

450 grams isn't that big really lol.

Ok so the doxy is waaaay off.
Should be 0.18 ml twice a day

The baytril should be 0.05 ml twice a day. Baytril CAN be given once a day but it's preferable to give twice.

Oh wow thank you that's a huge difference! Definitely don't want to be overdosing the little guys. I think the only reason I'd wondered about once a day is I know it's pretty strong and I'm nervous about them getting resistant to these meds before they're even a year old. But since there vet's other dose was so off I'm inclined to ignore their once a day recommendation as well

Back