Help with deciding if its the end for Nibbles.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it time?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
M

mritzi

Hi I am Morgan, and I have two rats, and they are my first two rats I’ve had. Both adopted and a bit over a year old. Last week Nibbles got very lethargic and created a lot of porphyrin around his eyes. After going to the vet we had xrays and saw nothing internally wrong. Then he started a head tilt(suggesting an inner ear infection) he has been on anyibiotics for a week now, but will only eat if I assist him. Today he started breathing through his mouth and won’t move... My question is, has anymone experienced this and their rat made it through? Or should I admit this is the end for my cuddle buddy and take him to be put down? I honestly do not want to loose this guy, but I also only want what is best for him, and I am having a hard time deciding what that is. Thanks in advance, an any advice is appreciated.

Vet now !!!!!
It could be several things and he may need different meds but it sounds like he needs immediate help re his breathing as it sounds like he is struggling to breath and suffering

please post a video

https://www.ratshackforum.com/threa...narians-advice-on-deciding-if-and-when.35579/

I hope that be will be ok and soon feeling better

If he needs to be put to sleep, you will need to make sure it is done right as most vets do not know how ….. gas/oxygen mix is given, reflexes are tested and when he is unconscious to at least a surgical level, then he is injected and kept unconscious with the gas/oxygen mix until dead …… (a conscious rat can never be given a heart injection as it is so cruel and painful)

Last edited:
I keep trying to upload a video but it won’t upload. I took him to the only vet who saw rats in my area, and he could not give me an answer to what was wrong. He prescribed antibiotics and was pretty frank and said if it didn’t work that I should put him down.

Ok let's start with what antibiotics, what concentration (mg/ml) and his much does your lad weigh, also what dose are you being told to give.
If you can upload a video to YouTube and post the link here it's easiest.

So we were on Doxycliclene .15 cc twice a day for 5 days, then O called the vet and he added Baytril at .05 cc in addition. He said to give it three days and if that didnt work to start something else. So today we started something called SMZ TMP at .3cc twice aday with baytril

I'm sorry your rat is very very ill and he probably needs more than basic antibiotics. I cannot tell if his doses are were correct but a rat does need 5 days on any antibiotics before you know if they are starting to work. Your boy is too ill though and likely won't survive without more intense treatment. I would advise putting your baby to sleep to prevent suffering :(

Back