Help with choosing a cage (two options)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to choose between these two cages. I'm definitely on a budget, and would rather put aside money for vet bills than splurge on a CN or FN.

Here are two options that I'm considering.
A: Prevue Hendryx Flight bird cage: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00176F5L0...olid=20CSYXUEIAWF0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I know I will need to place a solid bottom and add DIY levels, etc. My main concern is that the doors are much smaller and I will probably need to reinforce them (/ziptie shut the side ones) in order to prevent escaping.

B: Looks like the Feisty Ferret cage: https://www.wayfair.ca/pet/pdp/archie-oscar-hewson-ferret-cage-c000540449.html
It's $30 more expensive, but the pro is that it has bigger doors and seems cozier for rats without excessive modifications (although I'll also need to fix the base presumably). The con is that it has 7/8" spacing, which might be a problem if I get young rats...

What do you guys think? Any help would be massively appreciated. :)

-Su

I'd definitely go for bigger doors. If need be, you can cover the outside of the bars with hardware cloth. You should be able to get that fairly cheap at the hardware store. Also, look at SQS post about ermines. Since you live up north, that's also a concern. I personally almost bought the feisty ferret. I still may.... I like the wide doors on it. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

The base of the bird cage is too small
and no idea what the dimensions of the other cage are
and you do need large doors for putting items in and out of the cage and for ease of cleaning

you need a cage with a base of at least 30 in by 18 inches but bigger is better - horizontal space is essential for rats
and small bar spacing - to keep them in and to keep predators that can enter homes out of the cage

Depending on where you live in Canada ( prov and general area would be helpful to add to your profile)
you may find used CNs in good condition
You may want to get a one section critter nation cage (CN) if you are only getting 2 -4 rats as it would be less expensive
Flowertown is a good place to order supplies in ON and east of there but if you bought a cage from them you would likely want to pick it up as mail ca be expensive https://www.chinchilla.ca/store.php

Petsmart was selling a cheaper knockoff of the critter nation cage but they stopped carrying it - you may be able to find a store that still has some in stock

Thank you to you both!
I ended-up finding a cage on Kijiji that has 0.5 inches bar spacing but larger doors on the size, and a decent-sized base (should be over 600 square inches but I'm picking it up tomorrow).

The base of the bird cage is too small
and no idea what the dimensions of the other cage are
and you do need large doors for putting items in and out of the cage and for ease of cleaning

Thank you for your informative reply! For the record, that cage actually had a base of 30x20, which I believe is the same size as the feisty ferret. I double-checked the door size, however, and you're right--much too small to insert rat things or remove them for cleaning without having to take the whole cage apart.

I'd definitely go for bigger doors. If need be, you can cover the outside of the bars with hardware cloth. You should be able to get that fairly cheap at the hardware store. Also, look at SQS post about ermines. Since you live up north, that's also a concern. I personally almost bought the feisty ferret. I still may.... I like the wide doors on it. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Thank you Dena :)

Bigger doors are amazing! I used to have some cruddy old cage that had doors just barely big enough for two male rats to squeeze through. Double doors are amazing because they allow you remove and move things easily. It gives you more room to work and makes cleaning so much easier.
The bird cage would be awkward since you would have to buy or make your own levels and shelves for them to sit on, especially since it only comes with wooden dowel rods.

Another suggestion is looking on Craigslist, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, etc. for cages for sale. Where I live, I can buy a used DCN for $150USD, whereas brand new goes for $250USD. I have to give it one deep clean because it's used, but I would end up cleaning a new one anyways. I frequently see single critter/ferret nation cages for sale as well.

Bigger doors are amazing! I used to have some cruddy old cage that had doors just barely big enough for two male rats to squeeze through. Double doors are amazing because they allow you remove and move things easily. It gives you more room to work and makes cleaning so much easier.
The bird cage would be awkward since you would have to buy or make your own levels and shelves for them to sit on, especially since it only comes with wooden dowel rods.

Thanks! I'm always prepared to make changes to the cage, but yes the bird cage would have been awkward. The one that I ended-up getting off Kijiji (neither of the two options I initially brought-up) though seems to be ideal--small spacing, but also big doors. :)

Back