Help! - Wild orphaned baby mouse

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
I answered this ad with some info.

I have a tiny baby mouse that I have been fostering, and I'm afraid I'm not doing a good enough job. I was hoping to find someone who has experience in raising baby mice who would want to take him in and raise him the rest of the way http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pet-services/fredericton/baby-mouse/600661872?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

and received this reply
Hi! I've tried all of this..he's doing great right now his eyes aren't open but his hair is coming in and he is growing. I've tried everything to make him poop but I just can't get him to. He does pee though..is there any chance you would want to raise him the rest of the way? I would just hate to see him die because of my inexperience. I found him on my barn floor and I'm assuming he had been there awhile as he was almost dead and I didn't want to risk the cats getting him.

Anyone have info or suggestions for this woman?
I assume the baby will need to be introed to at least one other same sex baby before 5 weeks of age.

Hmmm, I'm waffling between rat and mouse. Even with the scale it's hard to decide on size. It looks like a rat to me, but it seems too small to be a rat.
What is she feeding it? The wild mice I fostered got KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement). They did well on it, but their eyes were already open.
Here is their thread with pics. I think she's got a baby rat...
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27529
All I know for making them go is a wet Q-tip. Maybe she doesn't realize that they don't have solid poops at this age and may not realize it's actually working?

Thanks Joanne,

I sent her info re feeding with organic soy infant formula as well as links to raising orphaned baby mice and rats. She said she was already doing those things so I assumed that was what she is feeding ... but I can ask.
She is stimulating the baby to go and the baby is peeing ... perhaps you are right.

The link to her kijiji ad is http://www.kijiji.ca/v-pet-services/fredericton/baby-mouse/600661872?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true in case you want to contact her.
I will send the link to the babies you raised.

thanks

Just received an email .... baby is dying as baby has eaten today or last night ....
She had switched the baby to goats milk a couple of days ago :(
That may or may not have contributed .... it is very difficult for babies this young to survive ... wish she had been able to put the baby in with a nursing mama

Wish I had taken the baby .... but I was told she was doing everything I told her (except finding a surrogate mother) and that the baby was doing very well ...

Received an email from the person who had the baby ..... the baby died last night.
Poor baby was so young that it didn't have much of a chance

RIP little one :(

Back