HELP! What's wrong with baby?!?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dena

I'm thinking ear infection?!? Please let me know what I can give and dosage! She's about 8-12 weeks old. Was pretty sudden. No smells from ears. No funky lung sounds. Lilspaz? SQ??

I saw her holding food in her paws and eating. She seems to be drinking ok. She just kinda falls over when eating. Always to the left. When I rubbed her left ear, she leaned into my finger. When I rubbed her right ear, she didn't seem to notice. She's gripping well with all of her paws, and if I pick her up, she uses her tail to try to balance. I also have metacam and methylprednisone. Just need to know how to mix, and dosage. Metacam is mixed. Just need dose.

I have one 250mg azithromycin left, but can POSSIBLY get more, and I have quite a few ciprofloxacin, also lots of amoxicillin, and a few clavamox I believe. I also have metacam and methylprednisone.

Her weight is 226grams

Last edited:
use the zithro and the pred (for only 5 days)

Mix the 250 mg zithro tablet with 2 ml of water til dissolved then add 3 ml of sweet syrup.
Her dose would be 0.09 ml once a day for 3 weeks.

What concentration is your pred?

Tablets. Sorry. Long night, not much sleep. I was really worried about baby. Poor thing never ended up with a name, because I can say baby baby in a high pitched voice, and she comes running! LOL

OK use 2 tablets, add 1 ml of water til dissolved then add then add 3 ml of syrup (or 2 and 2 ml's) giving you 2 mg/ml pred solution. Give her 0.09 ml once a day (same dose as Zithro). Only give the pred for 5 days then stop. That should help with the inflammation and dizziness until the antibiotics kick in and start curing the active infection. Give Baby a low ceiling box as this will help her orient up from down and give her comfort.

Gave her her first dose of azithromycin a little bit ago. I've never dealt with ear infections. When should I see improvement, and when should I start to worry? She's already trying to play, and it hasn't been long. She wasn't before. She's even trying to climb. So much so, I'm worried I may need to lower hammocks, and shelves for a bit. She's stubborn! LOL

Thank you so much for your help! She's got tons of low boxes (a mini coke box, gloves box, space pod, and a long sleeve like hammock that she seems to favor right now). I'm just worried about her trying to climb. When she gets turned around, she rolls.

rolling and running backwards aren't good signs, its usually a pretty severe infection. The prednisone should help within a day. Its good stuff for inflammation causing that dizziness and tilt. If she worsens in 3-4 days put her on the enrofloxacin right away along with the zithro.

Yes she's on the prednisone as well. I gave it about 2 hours, maybe 3 after the antibiotics. I made the antibiotics and gave them as soon as you commented about how to make them. She never really went backwards, but when she'd get stuck and try to go up, like in the video, she'd roll over. She sort of did it in the video.

I just got home and checked on baby. She's made a pretty big improvement since last night. She's almost walking normal again, and only circled once, and I'm not sure it wasn't because I pointed her in the opposite direction than she wanted to go. She's even trying to play again (she was a SUPER playful rat). I can't wait to see how she does after her next dose of meds. She's still a little bit tilty though. I guess time will tell if that changes....

Back