HELP!! -unknown tail discoloration??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the vet give pain meds?
If not, lilspaz68 can provide you with information re pain control

If he needs to be put to sleep, you will need to make sure it is done properly - most vets do not know how
The rat is given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery, eye and toe reflexes are tested, when unconscious to at least a surgical level, then the rat is injected. The rat is kept unconscious with the gas/oxygen mix until dead. Some vets will allow the pet owner to be present and even to hold and comfort their rat.
Never allow a conscious rat to be given an injection into their heart. This is so cruel that it is illegal in some places.
The only way to humanely have a rat put to sleep is to have it done by a vet.

He may also like organic soy infant formula, thickened with baby cereal - either out of a shallow dish, licked off your finger, licked off the end of a (needleless) syringe, or fed by placing a drop at a time into the side of his mouth (so it does not go into his lungs). Rat blocks soaked in cool water to make mush are also good.
Soft foods will help him to stay hydrated - dehydration kills

He may also like things such as cooked real oatmeal, cooked quinoa, broccoli, baby kale, cooked squash, mixed greens, a treat of a few organic pumpkin seeds or a piece of ripe banana

I am so very sorry.
I hope that he can be pain free and that you have a chance to love him and spoil him

How much does he weigh??
Did the vet give you pain meds?

What meds were you given
name of each med,
strength (mg/ml)
what where you told to give him (amount)
and how often

Do you have 200 mg ibuprofen tablets?
or Children’s liquid Advil
or Children’s Tylenol Suspension , Infant’s Tylenol Concentrated Drops

I'm so sorry. :( Just make his days as nice as you can, and Enjoy him. Usually kids that won't eat will still drink Ensure (you can freeze a can in ice cube trays to keep it fresher longer). If you have any avocado try that, they usually Love it. ;) Hugs.

How much does he weigh??
Did the vet give you pain meds?

What meds were you given
name of each med,
strength (mg/ml)
what where you told to give him (amount)
and how often
Sorry for not replying sooner!
He gave Orbax (Orbifloxacin) and the oxbow critical care nutrition supplement.
The Orbax is 30 mg/mL and I’m giving him 0.2 mL a day. The doctor didn’t tell me how much he weighs, but said to give him 3 tbsp of the supplement a day, which puts him at roughly 1 kg.

And sadly no we don’t have any children’s pain medication, though I’m sure I could get him some.
The doctor didn’t want to give him pain medication since he’s old (could fry his liver) and said “he probably doesn’t feel it much anyway”, which I really don’t believe.

Here’s my boy enjoying his supplement and banana pancakes :D ! Just glad he’s eating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 120
I sent your up date to Lilspaz68 as she has experience with this and is a medical contributor on several sites ……. I am glad that he is eating, and hope he is feeling better. I am not familiar with that antibiotic

I doubt your lad is 1 kg as that's 1000 grams. My guess is about 450-500 grams or so. The dose is fine for that weight.
Is the tail black and dry or cool and dark? Did you ever post a pic?

1kg is also 2.205lbs for us silly Americans. I was gonna say that is one huge rat if he's 1kg.
Children's pain medication is pretty cheap and easy to come by. I would still give him pain supplements. I understand the concern for his liver, but pain in rats can stress them out easily and make things much worse.
Cute picture of him though! Lucky boy for bananas!

1kg is also 2.205lbs for us silly Americans. I was gonna say that is one huge rat if he's 1kg.
Children's pain medication is pretty cheap and easy to come by. I would still give him pain supplements. I understand the concern for his liver, but pain in rats can stress them out easily and make things much worse.
Cute picture of him though! Lucky boy for bananas!
Thank you for the advice, I’ll see if I can get some later. He seems to enjoy the supplement well enough so that’s nice

I doubt your lad is 1 kg as that's 1000 grams. My guess is about 450-500 grams or so. The dose is fine for that weight.
Is the tail black and dry or cool and dark? Did you ever post a pic?
His tail is black up to about an inch from the base, it’s a little flaky here and there but generally solid. The tip of his tail is pretty cold. Do you think I should reduce the supplement level? It’s supposed to be 3 tbsp per kg. 1.5 maybe?

Back