Help securing something to their cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pippin and Merry

Recently I've been wanting to make my rat boys some little bags out of fabric that they can use as little places to hide and nest in (they already have a hiding spot but i think they'd like some variety). The only issue is I did that when they were younger and they also had a bag for nesting in that they tore to shreds and ripped stuff out of that made me worry they would get tangled up in it. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips for securing a nesting spot in place so there will be less worry about injuries. Thank you in advance!

I use a bolt, a nut, a large washer, and a small washer to secure my rats' litterboxes. I'm attaching some pictures.
I couldn't find shorter bolts, and I don't have the tools to cut them down. Thankfully, they're high up, so my rats aren't likely to hit themselves on it.
(I know the pictures make my cage look disgusting. The flash just washes the colors out.)

Attachments

• 20190504_200906.jpg
    20190504_200906.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 20190504_200921.jpg
    20190504_200921.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 259
I use zip ties for almost everything. That, or S binder hooks if hanging something that is going to hang down in their cage. As far as variety for hiding places, boxes. Lots of cardboard boxes. We use tissue (none with lotion) boxes, and I use the cylinder containers from oatmeal, and Amazon boxes of various sizes. Just cut a hole or two in them, and stuff with crumpled paper, and close the flaps. They will have stuff to shred and play in. I also hide treats in them, so they have to dig and forage some.

i couldnt find any washers, but thats a good idea for when i eventually litter train my boys

i did just finish making them a little tent, still need to get around to a new hammock after they tore the last one to shreds

new tent:
als1li.jpg

I use zip ties and dollar store shower curtain hooks

btw, all wire floor needs to be covered so that it is solid ….. on small balconies I use dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit & attached with cable ties. On large surfaces I have used thick linoleum cut to fit or coroplast

I keep covering it and they tear it off and shred it every time, just cleaned everything today so i havent gotten the chance to cover it again. i've been using old t-shirts that i cut up and sew to fit in place

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be afraid to get a pan for the cage. Thankfully I have a DCN now, but back when I had a crap cage, I had to secure their fleece with large paper clamps. I also had solid levels for that cage too.

Please use a solid surface - less likely to chew that up … and provide boxes etc for them to have fun chewing and peeing on
to see what I mean, check out bin cages in the Reference Thread

these responses aren't relevant to my original post, i just needed ideas for securing play items in the cage. not mention, its been shown that solid floors are just as likely to cause bumblefoot as wire floors. my boy's have never had an issue with the flooring as they are now, which is honestly no surprise to me as these boys are still as active and happy at 3 1/2 as they were the day i brought them home. As i am currently out of a job, I'm not in a place in my life where I can drop 40$ (the cost of critternation covers) to essentially give these boys bedding materials after a week. They have bedding and a pan with solid floors on the bottom of the cage and regardless of what material i've tried on the balconies and walkways. they have a great propensity for destruction regardless of how many enrichment items they have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back