HELP!! Rat's bone exposed??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rinjamin

Hello! I have three rat's and the one in the images below got an abscess drained by the vet. She had a deformed tooth that caused the abscess and it seemed to be healing well. I just finished giving her, her antibiotics and put her back in her cage with the other rats yesterday (I separated them while she was healing). Today I went to clean their cage and I realized it looks like her bone is exposed!! She doesn't seem to be in pain but I'm very worried. Is this normal? This is the first time I've had a rat get an abscess. I'm also wondering if I should separate her again so she doesn't get injured further. I'll call the vet tomorrow because they're closed today but I wanted to post this on here in case there's something I can do to help and find out if this is normal! I couldn't get a very good picture because she kept moving but I tried.
P.S sorry about the dirty cage, it's time for a cleaning!!

IMG-3165.jpg

IMG-3172.jpg

Where was the abscess? Under her jaw or right there?
It was right there. That is the wound from it being lanced and drained. she has a tooth deformity that caused the root to swell and resulted in the abscess on her nose.

What antibiotics is she on?
strength (mg/ml), dose (ml) and what is her weight?

facial abscesses are very dangerous

separating her from her friends will stress her, which can cause illness etc … rats are not normally separated from their friends, even when ill

What antibiotics is she on?
strength (mg/ml), dose (ml) and what is her weight?

facial abscesses are very dangerous

separating her from her friends will stress her, which can cause illness etc … rats are not normally separated from their friends, even when ill
She's back with her friends now and she was on 20 mg of Baytril daily. She was also on metacam for pain but she's been off that for awhile now.

Have you gone for a follow up appointment at the vet ?

If you are worried and feel she isn't ok, take her to the vet. ♥️ I had a hairless boy and he died. Simply I couldn't save him and I should have been dilegent taking him to proper care instead I kept thinking he would be ok. If hate to see this happen for you.

Back