Help! Pneumonia and med doesnt seem to be working!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpncrmyangels

3-4 yr old rat. Took him to the vet Friday (today is Monday). Vet gave him shot of Baytril for pneumonia. He is now gasping for air with a soft wheezing, not eating or drinking. Having a hard time deciding if the Baytril is even working. He isnt wheezing as loud or crackling anymore but the gasping is worse. Am I fighting a losing battle? I dont have any money until Thursday to take him back. Is there anything else I can do from home for him?? Please help!!

All the vet did was give him an injection of Baytril? Did they not send you home with oral antibiotics? Even the injection would only start the process of building up antibiotics in the body. It usually takes 4-5 days with consistent daily treatment before you will see any improvement.

When you hold your boys sides to your ear what do you hear? Crackles, congestion, gurgling? Or a constricted whine, maybe a think as he struggles to pull in air?

All the vet did was give him an injection of Baytril? Did they not send you home with oral antibiotics? Even the injection would only start the process of building up antibiotics in the body. It usually takes 4-5 days with consistent daily treatment before you will see any improvement.

When you hold your boys sides to your ear what do you hear? Crackles, congestion, gurgling? Or a constricted whine, maybe a think as he struggles to pull in air?
Yes, only Baytril injection, nothing else. It seems to be a constricted whine.

damn. That's not pneumonia. One injection won't do much of anything. Its like taking that first pill of antibiotics when you are sick, and stopping :(

Gasping for air...is it just open mouth clicking or is it full on struggle to get air in and panicking?

What do you think it may be? He is my daughters rat, she is 16. Do I need to prepare her? We are considering trying another vet. But she is using her own money and I dont want her spending a bunch if its not going to help. I hope you dont take that wrong, I basically mean I dont want a vet to take advantage and then tell her there is no hope after she spends a ton of money.

could be a mass pressing on the lungs, could be pulmonary abscesses with take up room and stiffen the lungs til they cannot use them prperly. Are you able to get a video, upload it somewhere then post the link here? After I see that I should be able to tell you if you should keep trying or if you should just have him humanely euthanized.

could be a mass pressing on the lungs, could be pulmonary abscesses with take up room and stiffen the lungs til they cannot use them prperly. Are you able to get a video, upload it somewhere then post the link here? After I see that I should be able to tell you if you should keep trying or if you should just have him humanely euthanized.
youtu.be/DFLqV3nAHH4

best I can get until Im not in the car. Let me know if you need a better one

Time to let him go. I'm so sorry for your daughter.
Let me know if you need some things to tell her that will help her feel better. I've lost hundreds of rats over many years (rescue) and it often hurts just as much each time, I just am better at dealing with it now.

Time to let him go. I'm so sorry for your daughter.
Let me know if you need some things to tell her that will help her feel better. I've lost hundreds of rats over many years (rescue) and it often hurts just as much each time, I just am better at dealing with it now.
Thank you! I appreciate your time and help and candidness! I had a feeling this was going to be the case but tried to hold out hope. She told me earlier she is preparing herself that this might be the outcome.

That’s so awful, I’m sorry your daughters rats is sick. It’s a really hard choice. I’ve been through this a few times. If you decide to go to another vet , you could have them do an X-ray. Not that expensive and they don’t need to sedate. Could tell you how bad the pneumonia is if that is what it is and the lung capacity. If it’s pneumonia, they usually will give baytril and doxy together which work well. 2 of my girls were given amoxicillin after those 2 meds failed and it cleared the infection up. I always have a hard time making the decision to euthanize without knowing all the factors and options. It may not be worth the money in the long run since it sounds like your daughters rat is quite ill and is older but a second opinion never hurts if your able to get in quickly. It’s so sad, I’m very sorry you guys have to make this decision and possibly lose your pet. Nothing will make this easier but Your rat lived a long life and I’m sure is loved very much!!

Back