Help please!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dena

We are in southeast Texas, and everything is covered in snow, and we have lost electricity. I have a generator going, and fire in my fireplace, but it's still quite cold in here. I moved my rats to the living room so they are closer to the heat. I also moved my little old mouse (he's two years old now) in here too. Problem is, I'm about to run out of wood, and the tiny heaters we have don't do much. It's going to be 9 degrees here. I'm worried sick about the furries. I've added extra bedding for the mouse, and put a ton of extra fleece in the rat cage. Will they be OK if the house Temps dip below 56 again? I don't know what to do....

Worried sick! Have been trying to keep the area where they are, a comfortable temp. I put a small space heater away from them, blocked off the bottom part of their DCN. When it got dark the Temps dropped dramatically! So I ended up covering the left front door panel for a while, and kinda make a makeshift tent since they are in a corner. When I checked a few times, it was cozy. Not too warn, and not too cool. So I'll leave it. They can get plenty of airflow from the rest of the cage.

When i had a power out in Toronto,i covered the entire cage with a shower curtain then a blanket to keep the body warmth in. Take any sickies to bed with you for your body warmth.

Sounds like you are doing your best...good luck!

We aren't expected to get power for almost a week now. My mother in law is trying to get home and get a couple of heaters, and now the rats have pulled their fleece that was in their nest, and completely covered themselves up in it. I already have terrible anxiety, and am on a couple of different meds for it, and this isn't helping.

So it wouldn't hurt to completely cover their cage with fleece? I'm worried about them getting sick from lack of airflow.... I have checked on them many times, since they are right next to me, and their fur isn't even cold, so I guess that means the temp is OK for them. They come out from time to time so they can nibble food, and poke their head out to drink water, but other than that, they have been pretty still. Once in a while I'll hear them on their wheel, but that doesn't last long. We are about to get another round of ice and freezing rain tonight....
US Texans don't do cold very well, but we sure have no problem with the summers! 😂

We aren't expected to get power for almost a week now. My mother in law is trying to get home and get a couple of heaters, and now the rats have pulled their fleece that was in their nest, and completely covered themselves up in it. I already have terrible anxiety, and am on a couple of different meds for it, and this isn't helping.

So it wouldn't hurt to completely cover their cage with fleece? I'm worried about them getting sick from lack of airflow.... I have checked on them many times, since they are right next to me, and their fur isn't even cold, so I guess that means the temp is OK for them. They come out from time to time so they can nibble food, and poke their head out to drink water, but other than that, they have been pretty still. Once in a while I'll hear them on their wheel, but that doesn't last long. We are about to get another round of ice and freezing rain tonight....
US Texans don't do cold very well, but we sure have no problem with the summers! 😂
Wow! I'm glad you are doing everything to keep them warm. Poor little ratties. I hope things start to warm up soon. That's horrible!

I know all about cold winters as I grew up in Boston and lived in Ottawa for a winter where the temp one day was -45 C.

They should have smaller spaces they can all snug in with lots of nesting material and then a cover over their larger enclosure with a little opening. Gosh, what horrible luck to have that happen. The more insulated layers they have the better. They'll have a nice small box with nesting material with just a little hole to get in and out and then the whole cage should be covered with a little hole for air. If you have a quilt I would cover the cage with it with just an opening for oxygen and to release the stale air.. Then I would put plastic around the quilt. I'd let them get into a little shoe box for sleeping to keep warm with just a little hole to get in and out. Usually rats like a hole in the front and back but just one hole is ok. They'll open the back hole themselves if they want it.

It's actually better that it's cold and not super hot. They'll be ok. Just give them high calorie foods and light a fire any way you can and try to heat their food up. Warm up a nice hot chocolate for them if you can. They'll love you for that! Keep us updated on things.

Back