Help please! my rats depressed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can rats die of depression

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

georgina

Hi, I am so sorry for the long post but I really really need some advice, my old man blue died 2 Sundays ago I did know this was going to happen as he was well past his age so it was expected, but my baby boy buddy 2yrsold died on sunday a straight week after blue died, I was soo confused and heart broken as to why he got really ill quickly, at 1st he started moping around then 3 days later his breathing was more noticeable like you could really see him breathing, and then I noticed a clicky noise, by then it was to late to take him the the vets as he got bad Saturday night (vets are not open past 5pm and closed on Sundays) I woke Sunday and his eyes were extremely dry I tried forcing him to drink water I made treats that he would usually love but he refused he later died in my hands that day I was soo fricken heartbroken, I put his body back in for his brother dumbo to accept his death and he literally curled up on to him for hours it was so sad, but since Sunday dumbo has seemed to get depressed I'm sure it's depression, but today I've noticed he's now got a little click in his breathing, he seems to be refusing food and water, I have managed to get a few drops of water in him, I'm terrified it's going to happen all over again that will be 3 of my babys in 3 weeks, is this normal behaviour after thier friends die, can a rat die from depression? I need to know how help my boy, I did separate my girl from them 3 weeks ago as she attacked the boys and I didn't want her to hurt blue as he was on his way out, I have now put her back in with dumbo hoping she will give him some company, any advice is appreciated thank you.

You said that he had a little clicky sound in his breathing. Are you able to get him to a vet before the weekend, because it sounds like it could be a respiratory infection. If so he really needs antibiotics.
Yes, they can get depressed as well. It could be very upsetting for him to be alone all of a sudden. How has he seemed since the girl was back? Stress can sometimes make them sick. I really can't say much more than little guy needs a vet. Keep seeing if he'll drink and try his favourite foods. Make sure he is staying warm, how is his body temperature? A heating pad is ideal if you notice he feels cool.

I have already got antibiotics for him and I've been trying to give it to him but he only has a few licks then turns his nose up at it, same with water he just does not seem interested... he has taken a turn tonight though and I don't think he will make it through the night his eyes are dull but he seems like he just isn't bothered I've given him loads of cuddles I've put a heat mat in his den, I'm praying he's still with me in the morning, I won't be able to get any sleep tonight , thank you for your advice and help I appreciate it

I have already got antibiotics for him and I've been trying to give it to him but he only has a few licks then turns his nose up at it, same with water he just does not seem interested... he has taken a turn tonight though and I don't think he will make it through the night his eyes are dull but he seems like he just isn't bothered I've given him loads of cuddles I've put a heat mat in his den, I'm praying he's still with me in the morning, I won't be able to get any sleep tonight , thank you for your advice and help I appreciate it
I understand how hard this is.. I stayed up with my rats many times.. Do you have any baby food on hand.? If he will take that as a treat then it would get liquid in his body.. I really hope he makes it through the night.. Good luck to you.!

First of all, what antibiotics are you giving him? Dosages? You can mix them with a little bit of sweet syrup like strawberry, or chocolate syrup. Try giving him foods that are really wet like melon, canned pumpkin (not the pie stuff, but just pumpkin), or even his rat blocks put in cool water to make a mush. This can do wonders. Don't just give up on him though. Also, you can put a stuffed animal in his cage that doesn't have small parts he can chew off and choke on, and doesn't have threads visible and accessible. I'd only give him heat on a low temp, in a place he can choose to be in or not be in. Too much heat can kill a rat as well. IF you are giving him meds by syringe, or water (actually I'd do pedialite for the electrolytes in it), do small drops in the side of the mouth to avoid aspiration. Also if you're giving baytril, it could be bitter tasting if it's been reconstituted from the injectable. So it's better to mix with a yummy food, or something appealing to the ratto. When I was really desperate to get the meds in, I'd even mix it with meat baby food, or put it on a tiny piece of sweet bread or cake. They usually lap that up. If it's doxy, don't give it with dairy. I'm sorry about your other babies. Hopefully he makes it through the night and makes a turn for the better. Meds will take at least a couple of days to work and for you to see a change. Don't give up.

Back