help! penis out, won't go in, licking it

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

My friend's rattie had an abscess removed day before yesterday. He was given Metacam .03 once a day for 5 days - he weighs 570g.
Today his penis is sticking out a little, she tried using oil to reinsert it with no luck. She contacted the vet but the vet is unconcerned, said just monitor it over the weekend, but he won't stop licking it.
What do you think, and any suggestions?

Attachments

• 181123 thomas paraphimosis 1.jpg
    181123 thomas paraphimosis 1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 181123 thomas paraphimosis 2a.jpg
    181123 thomas paraphimosis 2a.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 89
Thanks SQ, that's the first place I checked actually.. apparently it's gone in a bit more, she's watching him & not letting it be dry for long... fingers crossed it goes in on it's own.

Thankyou SQ! You're great at finding info, and I really appreciate it. I'll link her to that (and make a note of it for myself).
..She said it's finally back in, she's hoping it stays in..

btw, the vet gave him no antibiotics, I'd think he should have them after having this abscess removed, don't you think?

They finally gave him antibiotics - amoxicillin. Can someone check my figuring cause I think it's inadequate.
Thomas is 570 grams.
Ratguide says 10 - 50 mg/lb PO , BID 10 to 21 days http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/amoxicillin.php
He is prescribed 0.1ml of (50mg per ml) amoxicillin twice a day for 1 wk.
Isn't that just 5mg 2xday for a 1.25 lb rat? Isn't that Less than half the Lowest dosage?

Thankyou SQ! You're great at finding info.

You are welcome
Use the Search feature at the right hand top of the page, after you click on it, click More …… then you can put in a key word and the author you are looking for
Unfortunately most of the older posts seem to have been deleted, but there is still a lot of good info.

I responded to the message you sent me, but yes, the dose is too small. Thomas should be getting 0.25 mls twice a day

Back