HELP..New born baby rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greger

Hello all

I joined this forum for help. I own a irrigation company and got called to a home that they thought was a irrigation leak. About 3 feet underground I heard squeaks and we stopped digging and I found a nest of 4 baby rats. I could not put them back and being in florida I cant leave them in the heat. I am not the type to kill any animal and now I am full blown daddy. Its been 48 hours and I think they are 7 days max. I was using a little paintbrush and warm cat baby formula. I am feeding every 3 hours and using warm water to clean their no no special spots lol. I just switched to a syringe with a catheter attachment to make a softer nipple. I am moving to every 3 hours. Is it better to switch to the paint brush because they can suck on it. Also sometimes when using the syringe it looms like they are doing a yawn but shaking and I am scared the milk might be going in to their mouths to fast. I am being slow and carfull. Also I use 4 warm water bottles in a shoe box for them to stay warm. Any advice will help,I was told I am doing all I can and doing good being that its been 48 hrs. But should I fo back to the paint brush?

Thx u

I sounds like you are doing a good job but since they are so young, they have little chance of survival unless added to a nursing mama's litter.

A small clean new paint brush they can suck on is better as syringes can result in fluid in the lungs. Some people have used a tiny nipple type thing for babies to suck on. Everyone used to recommend using a syringe but that has changed because of the danger of aspiration. There is info in our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Please read about formula, power formula, warmth, potty stimulation (gently massage abdomen etc with a warm damp cotton ball to stimulate them to pee/poop - their mama would do this by licking them) aspiration etc in info I copied and pasted here Infant rat, URI? Clicking

Feeding kitten formula (KMR) or organic (or at least nonGMO) infant soy formula are recommended.

Because they are so young, their best chance at survival is to be carefully added to the litter of a nursing mama (but that means buying a nursing mama with her babies as pet stores will use the babies as food and so will feeder breeders) … That means removing mama, making the 4 smell like the other babies by rubbing them in litter/feces, adding the 4 to the litter, putting mama back and hoping she accepts them (female pet rats usually have 10 to 12 nipples) …. I have read that squirrel milk replacer for orphaned squirrels is closer to a rat mother's milk. Orphaned babies that young often die within approx. 5 days because the milk replacers are not good enough.

On facebook there are groups such as Deer Mouse Support group re raising orphans, and Rats and Mice are Awesome has a group for people raising orphaned babies. Real rat lovers want to Know is a group re medical questions.

I messaged lilspaz68 and hopefully she will soon respond as she has a great deal of experience
I hope this helps

If the babies survive, they can never be released and will need to be pets
I hope this helps

Around 10-12 days they will open their eyes. It will get a little easier after then. I personally have only used infant formula, or breast milk from a nursing human mom. Both worked great. Paint brush is easier, and probably more safe. When they are around 18-21 days? You can start putting oxbow adult rat food in water, letting it soak, and making a mush for them to taste. Then a few days later, also add a few of the unsoaked pieces of food. When they start moving around a little more, you may want to get a small starter cage (small bar spacing, like a hamster cage), and move them to that, or use a large tote with fleece in the bottom. In the cage, you can add a small water bottle for them to learn to drink from, and a few bird, or cat toys. They will be super active starting around 3.5 weeks. Good luck!

all rats, but particularly babies old enough to drink water, need access to a water dish that can not be upset …. for babies of course this needs to be a shallow dish. The tongues of babies are not strong enough to more the ball bearing (with the water pressure behind it) in water bottles although they may look like they are drinkig

So I have been feeding about a 4 to one mix. And just now starting to increase to more formula. I tried to find a rat momma but no luck. I am trying my best and they are eating good ever hour and a half and getting milk belly. I understand the chances but people have had a lot of luck too so i am hoping they do well. Please understand this is not my first choice but I am not going to watch them die either. Thx for all the advice i am trying so everything helps

So I have been feeding about a 4 to one mix. And just now starting to increase to more formula. I tried to find a rat momma but no luck. I am trying my best and they are eating good ever hour and a half and getting milk belly. I understand the chances but people have had a lot of luck too so i am hoping they do well. Please understand this is not my first choice but I am not going to watch them die either. Thx for all the advice i am trying so everything helps

Sorry yoiu could not yet find a nursing mama wth litter.
Sounds like you are doing the best anyone could do.
if you run into any problems please read the info in the lin I posted or contact the groups I mentioned
I hope all the babies make it ... thank you fo all that you are doing for them

Back