HELP: Missing rat!!!!! - Update, pls don't judge me.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as you all know my little Zumi has been missing for 3 weeks now. I've done everything I can think of...leaving out food, traps, flour for foot prints, scouring outside, asking the nieghbours and calling the humane society. She simply seems to have vanished. While I'm still hoping she finds her way home, I've had to consider my remaining 3 girls. There is a definate unbalance in my little colony. Nez and Mama are both older and thick as thieves. This leaves poor little Sweet Pea as the odd girl out. So when Maple generously offered me one of my neutered foster boys I couldn't say no. Mushroom will be arriving today to settle back in and recover from his neuter. He'll have his own little cage next to my girls and on Aug 28th he'll be reunited with his family.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I'm not giving up.

You've done all you can do... maybe one day she'll show up, or maybe she's decided that the wild and nature is what she really needed. :hugs:

Awww nobody should judge you for taking in a new rat. 3 weeks is a long time :(

congratz on the new guy :) i hope you know we will need pics asap and again when he is in with the girls :)

IF she comes back she will love having a new boy of her own.....I am thinking that if you haven't seen any signs of her by now she either got out or something got her...... :sad3:
You certainly have done everything you can do.....

I certainly can't judge you for what you've decided. Mushroom will have a great home and if Zumi returns, all the better.

Thank you so much everyone. I don't think I could have gotten through this without all of your support.

Mushroon is here now and settled into his temporary cage. I've put it right next to the big cage, and the girls are going crazy sniffing and trying to get at him...not in an agressive way. More like a 'wow, let me at that handsome man' sort of way. But I'm gonna keep them apart until the 28th cause I surely don't want any more babies (as cute as they are).

I'll try and post some pictures soon.

We couldn't possible think badly of you for what happened. Most of us have had a rat go missing at some time or other. I'm very sad that your situation has turned out badly. :cry: Taking Maple is a very positive thing, no matter what. When Zumi comes home she'll be happy to meet him!

MumsyRat said:
We couldn't possible think badly of you for what happened. Most of us have had a rat go missing at some time or other. I'm very sad that your situation has turned out badly. :cry: Taking Maple is a very positive thing, no matter what. When Zumi comes home she'll be happy to meet him!

I think his name is Mushroom :giggle:

I don't think anyone would think badly of you for getting a new babes! I mean , we all do it and we don't even HAVE a reason :giggle:

Love the name Mushroom by the way , it is adorable! And , I hope everything turns out well for you :hugs:

This may be a horrible thought, but is there any chance that Zumi wandered behind the fridge and became trapped?

Roquefort did that once and I almost had heart failure.

I could hear him squeaking from under the fridge and there was nothing I could do. I had no idea where he was under there and I was terrified of crushing him by moving the d@%# thing.

I sat in front of the fridge and talked to him; telling him that he was a smart boy and could do it.

By the Grace of God, he found his way out with no injuries.... just a nose full of dust. :giggle:

Oh Minuke... :hugs: I know you've done eveything you can, and that nice you took Shroomers back, you raised him you have every right to him. He'll be happy with you and I hope Zumi does come back one day.

Just before we left, I let the boys out for their last moments together. Mushroom walked around

Checked things out for the last time

and played peek-a-boo

When it was time to go and I called his name, he peeked out his head and said "OK, I'm coming"

He ran over to me, gave me a kiss and said "Maple, I will miss you, but thanks for taking me home!"

Thank you minuke, for giving this baby a chance to live out his life with his family. :heart:

Mushroom is adorable!!
I'm sure he'll fit right in!

No one's judging you at all, you did all you could do, and you didn't want Sweat Pea to get lonely!

So sorry your little girl Zumi hasn't come home yet. Glad to hear Mushroom will be keeping your other young girl company. It's OK - we all need to move on at some point. Worst case scenario: Zumi comes home and you have 5 ratties!

Aw heck, what's to judge you for? Giving a good home to a critter and filling that empty space in your heart & home when you've had a tragedy? :hugs:
There's no doubt you'd expand that space for Zumi if she came home.
Much as so many of us have been hoping she would come home and are so sad she hasn't, we won't be thinking of her forevermore, (like her loving mom will) but she won't be forgotten like she didn't matter either, she does matter and we will wish her a happy wild life.

In every species there's the odd duck that prefers a rebel or solitary life, those are the ones that books & movies are written about. Humans have fought to have individual choices even if they are happy not to use them.

Your Zumi craved freedom over comfort, she's probably happy as heck with her chosen life right now - so you just dream of her happy in her freedom and do for the kids that love the pampered life :nod:

You're still giving her everything you can with your thoughts of her. That's why I just feel like hugging you. The most loving thing you could do now is to look after you & your girls and give Mushroom the home & care you offered Zumi cause to waste it would only take from what she left for someone else, it wouldn't honor her.
Welcome home Mushroom! .

Hugs to you, I hope the intros go really wonderfully.

Fidget said:
Aw heck, what's to judge you for? Giving a good home to a critter and filling that empty space in your heart & home when you've had a tragedy? :hugs:
There's no doubt you'd expand that space for Zumi if she came home.
Much as so many of us have been hoping she would come home and are so sad she hasn't, we won't be thinking of her forevermore, (like her loving mom will) but she won't be forgotten like she didn't matter either, she does matter and we will wish her a happy wild life.

In every species there's the odd duck that prefers a rebel or solitary life, those are the ones that books & movies are written about. Humans have fought to have individual choices even if they are happy not to use them.

Your Zumi craved freedom over comfort, she's probably happy as heck with her chosen life right now - so you just dream of her happy in her freedom and do for the kids that love the pampered life :nod:

You're still giving her everything you can with your thoughts of her. That's why I just feel like hugging you. The most loving thing you could do now is to look after you & your girls and give Mushroom the home & care you offered Zumi cause to waste it would only take from what she left for someone else, it wouldn't honor her.
Welcome home Mushroom! .

Hugs to you, I hope the intros go really wonderfully.

Thank you Fidget.

Thank you all for your support. Mushroom is a fine man..hopefully he'll be happy with a harem!

Back