Help! Growth on my sweet boy remi, towards his back legs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remiandtheboys

Hello, I hope someone will be able to help me. I am a new rat owner, i adopted my rat remi last year in august. Over the last month and a half he has developed a horrible growth on his lower stomach. I was told it was an abscess and to just leave it alone until it pops. However, it is growing in size. It has started to smell absolutely horrible, and there seems to be either black on it or a very dark red in spots. It isn’t effecting him, he is still running around, playing, eating and happy. I’m just worried about him and am not sure what to do. I live in the middle of nowhere so the vets around me do not specialize in rodants. If anyone has any advice please reply.

Hi, could you post some pictures of the growth? it seams a long time for an abscess to grow for more then a month. Also what you describe hire does not sound quite like an abscess to me but I have neve dealt with them directly, so take all I say with a big pinch of salt.
It has started to smell absolutely horrible, and there seems to be either black on it or a very dark red in spots.

I've dealt with cyst on my rat before, that get cured similarly to abscesses.
If you think that it is an abscess you can help it open up up by gently applying a damp lukewarm towel to the area. This should help the pores open up and expel the pus inside. Once it opens you will have to clean it out with saline solution and keep it clean the next few days until it heals (I suggest a small hospital cage with no lose bedding the first day).
It is not the easiest job, especially if your rat is wiggly and or you are squimish. If you are at all unsure about what to do or if you can handle it, try to fined a vet that is willing to see you.
Also, if it is an abscess and it reappears, you might want to get him check out for tumors as some abscesses grow because of tumors that are deeper in the tissues; it's not the most common thing though.

Hire are some links I found useful when I was dealing with my rats cyst

Hope this was helpful, let us know how it goes :)🤞

Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes it has been quite a long time, i was told that it would pop and go way, but that was not the case. I’m now worried that it may be a tumour and I’m pretty positive it is now infected. I have called the vet but they don’t open until 10 am tomorrow. I watched the videos you sent and they were very helpful and informative, thank you. I have began to soak it with lukewarm water, he surprisingly doesn’t seem to mind it. I will upload photos in a separate reply since I want to give you a warning that it isn’t very pleasant to look at, It is a huge mass and quite unpleasant to look at. It doesn’t seem to bother him but I want to do everything I can while I wait to get an appointment with the vet.

Hey, I'm curious about your rat's condition. Is it improving? Was it seen by a vet?

Back