HELP!!! Female rat with prolapsed uterus or tumor!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookieObiRonny&Bear

This morning I saw this. I'm not sure what it is, but it seems to be either a prolapsed uterus or a tumor. Please help if you have any experience or advice!!! She's about 10 months old and lives with another female rat. If it is a prolapsed uterus, spaying would probably help but is VERY expensive around here and all the available appointments are at the end of the month. I'm not sure how long this can wait depending on what it is. If it is a tumor, either surgery (again, expensive) or putting her to sleep would be the options, and she might not survive either way. Overall, I don't know what to do so any advice would be very, very helpful, especially if you've experienced something like this before.
IMG_8359.jpeg
IMG_8356.jpeg

I've experienced a prolapsed uterus with a foster female hamster once - your photo looks similar. Was told by the vet to keep the area lubricated with KY Jelly (the original non-fancy stuff) until I could bring her in for surgery since it took a couple days before she could be operated on. The surgery itself was a minor one as I recall. They had to clean the exposed tissue and make a small incision to pop it back in, but was still like $200.

Hopefully someone can give better advice in addition to the lube, especially since appointments are so backed up. I totally feel your pain there!

I've experienced a prolapsed uterus with a foster female hamster once - your photo looks similar. Was told by the vet to keep the area lubricated with KY Jelly (the original non-fancy stuff) until I could bring her in for surgery since it took a couple days before she could be operated on. The surgery itself was a minor one as I recall. They had to clean the exposed tissue and make a small incision to pop it back in, but was still like $200.

Hopefully someone can give better advice in addition to the lube, especially since appointments are so backed up. I totally feel your pain there!

Thanks so much!

Our wee Della had that happen earlier this year. It took about five days to go from "Well, that looks a little odd" to "She is giving birth to a grape. WTF?" The pics you've shared look like her undercarriage about two days after we noticed something was odd. If memory serves, it was on a weekend or after hours on a Friday. We planned to book an appointment for her as soon as the office opened on Monday. Instead, we ended up rushing her to the vet instead of booking an appointment.

The vet said it was good we brought her in when we did-- it was an inoperable uterine mass. We had to say goodbye to her that day.

Please don't hesitate to get her some vet care, and be prepared that it might be inoperable. I'm so sorry your wee muffin is suffering. :(

Thank
Our wee Della had that happen earlier this year. It took about five days to go from "Well, that looks a little odd" to "She is giving birth to a grape. WTF?" The pics you've shared look like her undercarriage about two days after we noticed something was odd. If memory serves, it was on a weekend or after hours on a Friday. We planned to book an appointment for her as soon as the office opened on Monday. Instead, we ended up rushing her to the vet instead of booking an appointment.

The vet said it was good we brought her in when we did-- it was an inoperable uterine mass. We had to say goodbye to her that day.

Please don't hesitate to get her some vet care, and be prepared that it might be inoperable. I'm so sorry your wee muffin is suffering. :(
Thank you so much for the advice!!! it was very helpful. I brought her to an emergency vet and she's staying overnight. She's getting what I know know to be a vaginal polyp removed and is also getting spayed. I hope she isn't too scared at the vet! I'll be picking her up tomorrow, hope everything goes well!

Thank

Thank you so much for the advice!!! it was very helpful. I brought her to an emergency vet and she's staying overnight. She's getting what I know know to be a vaginal polyp removed and is also getting spayed. I hope she isn't too scared at the vet! I'll be picking her up tomorrow, hope everything goes well!

Oh, fantastic! I'm so glad they can help her. Best of luck to your rattie, and I hope she heals as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I am so glad I found this thread. The same thing is going on with my sweet girl Halo. I noticed it about 4 days ago and was like ok, she is in heat. Except it hasn't gone away. Was going to call the vet in the morning if I couldn't find anything regarding it. Now I am DEFINITELY calling the vet! I also noticed about a week ago her getting a little chunky I hope she is ok. 😭

I hope your babe is ok too.

Attachments

• received_256840336252682.jpeg
    received_256840336252682.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 146
I am so glad I found this thread. The same thing is going on with my sweet girl Halo. I noticed it about 4 days ago and was like ok, she is in heat. Except it hasn't gone away. Was going to call the vet in the morning if I couldn't find anything regarding it. Now I am DEFINITELY calling the vet! I also noticed about a week ago her getting a little chunky I hope she is ok. 😭

I hope your babe is ok too.
Hello!
When this happened I took my rat to the emergency vet because all the possible appointments for the regular vet were over a month away, and this couldn't wait. It turned out that Bear had a vaginal polyp. So the vet removed it with surgery and at the same time spayed her to prevent future polyps and tumors. Bear is completely healed and happy now!
I hope Halo is okay! Good luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_1430.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 95
Hello!
When this happened I took my rat to the emergency vet because all the possible appointments for the regular vet were over a month away, and this couldn't wait. It turned out that Bear had a vaginal polyp. So the vet removed it with surgery and at the same time spayed her to prevent future polyps and tumors. Bear is completely healed and happy now!
I hope Halo is okay! Good luck!!
I am so glad Bear is ok. I managed to get Halo into the vet today and the doctor figured it was a tumor. She hasn't been eating right for a while. Not with her normal excitement over food.

Anyway, my beautiful girl is not in any pain anymore. 😭😭😭😭

Attachments

• 20210518_090413_HDR.jpg
    20210518_090413_HDR.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210526_215727.jpg
    20210526_215727.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200529_220406.jpg
    20200529_220406.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 95
Back