Help designing cage unit...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgirl

okay guys... i am in a situation...
I had to move into a trailer. Well a toy hauler, that iam now dubbing my animal hauler. Because the toy hauler section is to house my 14 rats and 3 rabbits. (Dont worry i have a HUGE air purifier, and clean often, and also have playtime in the whole back room.)
Problem is, the current cage systems: double critter nation for 8 female+neutered male rats. And 4 story petsmart square cage thing for 5 males. Plus 2 stacked large dog crates for my rabbits.
Problem is cages cant go flush against wall because of the wheelbwell and i am fighting with the mess as the cages do not have barriers. I made metal barriers but they wont stay in the proper position.
I have thought about making a large grotto unit that is designed to fit the space of the trailer with perhaps storage for food bins and litter bins and supplies.
It is doable EXCEPT
My female rats are power chewers
Like they chew through wood in a day, and plastic has huge holes in under 3 hours.
I thought about attaching metal sheets to the wood so they cant chew, but then i have a concern about hardware cloth
I think they would be able to chew through it.
The mess, and the bad space usage of the current set up is driving me MAD. HELP

Back