Help!! Broken or sprained foot? Possibility of bumble foot?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goniewicz

Hi, I have noticed yesterday morning that my boy Splinter has some swelling on his foot. I’ve panicked, researched as much as I could and came up with these 3 for my possibilities : bumblefoot, broken or sprained foot. There seems to be no cut or wound. I have given him Meloxicam, yesterday and today but the swelling just keeps getting worse…

In the picture with his brother it is big, but right now it is very concerning and Splinter seems to be biting on it/licking it. I have been spraying it with an antibacterial spray, to hopefully avoid any infection…
I must also add that both of his hind legs have some dryness on the sole of their feet.

He hasn’t been showing any signs of stress, he is just more sleepy than usual. He doesn’t have much to do since he can’t climb his cage.

Attachments

• E2E459E5-FC5E-49D1-B4ED-1DBCD94BF0C3.jpeg
    E2E459E5-FC5E-49D1-B4ED-1DBCD94BF0C3.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 116
  • A330E4A1-F62A-472C-AA72-6F6A0CE2BF17.jpeg
    A330E4A1-F62A-472C-AA72-6F6A0CE2BF17.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 114
It looks like a bad sprain and you will need to give post-op doses of metacam to bring it down. How much does he weigh (approximately) and what concentration of Metacam do you have (1.5 mg/ml or 0.5 mg/ml)?

It looks like a bad sprain and you will need to give post-op doses of metacam to bring it down. How much does he weigh (approximately) and what concentration of Metacam do you have (1.5 mg/ml or 0.5 mg/ml)?
Thank you for your reply! I have 1,5mg/ml. He weights approximately 400grams. Where can I get metacam? Vets only?

His dose would be 0.27 ml once a day. Hopefully that starts to bring it down and give him relief. The extreme swelling can push liquid through.the skin from the pressure, and the skin can peel as well from this. Getting the swelling down fast is most important. Hopefully you have enough meloxicam for 2-4 days, as you can only get it from a vet.
Is the foot hot or cool/cold?

Can you try for a clearer pic of it now? Use your flash if needed.

His dose would be 0.27 ml once a day. Hopefully that starts to bring it down and give him relief. The extreme swelling can push liquid through.the skin from the pressure, and the skin can peel as well from this. Getting the swelling down fast is most important. Hopefully you have enough meloxicam for 2-4 days, as you can only get it from a vet.
Is the foot hot or cool/cold?

Can you try for a clearer pic of it now? Use your flash if needed.
This is his foot today, the swelling went down super well throughout the night. (Second picture) As you can see his toes are still quite big, and there is some scabs from his biting on it. The only thing concerning me right now is the peeling of the skin, on both of his feet actually. The other foot is completely fine, just some peeling. (First picture) The injured foot is warm, not really hot or cold.
The last picture is a zoomed in picture from yesterday.

Attachments

• 54AB3CF3-A64B-4211-8727-1ED329B9D2D1.jpeg
    54AB3CF3-A64B-4211-8727-1ED329B9D2D1.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 12F435F4-FC4C-4006-B145-2C7594CF880A.jpeg
    12F435F4-FC4C-4006-B145-2C7594CF880A.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 101
  • C33629C5-B9D2-4044-A210-E2D365CEC0B0.jpeg
    C33629C5-B9D2-4044-A210-E2D365CEC0B0.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 98
The peeling skin will heal in time. I'm very glad the swelling has come down. Give him one more dose of meloxicam and then stop. The swelling should stay down.

Here you can see a former boy of mine's foot, swollen and peeling. It healed up well after the swelling came down
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbbywf9nn0m76pe/jul514bosfoot3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7edjvp13conrtv/jul514bosfoot2.jpg?dl=0
Thank you so much for your help in this matter. I think my boy will be okay in no time! Much appreciation for your help and knowledge.

How is Splinters foot doing?
Thank you for follow up. ☺️ The swelling went down completely and is forgotten. The dry skin on his feet is now recovering and looks way better. I am still keeping him off climbing the cage, just in case the leg didn’t heal yet.

Hi, I have noticed yesterday morning that my boy Splinter has some swelling on his foot. I’ve panicked, researched as much as I could and came up with these 3 for my possibilities : bumblefoot, broken or sprained foot. There seems to be no cut or wound. I have given him Meloxicam, yesterday and today but the swelling just keeps getting worse…

In the picture with his brother it is big, but right now it is very concerning and Splinter seems to be biting on it/licking it. I have been spraying it with an antibacterial spray, to hopefully avoid any infection…
I must also add that both of his hind legs have some dryness on the sole of their feet.

He hasn’t been showing any signs of stress, he is just more sleepy than usual. He doesn’t have much to do since he can’t climb his cage.
Not bumblefoot, which is only hind feet, in my experience.

Back