Help administering Baytril?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marie Shannon

Hello again!

As a quick update earlier today I took my two little ones to the vet due to some frequent sneezes. Although they didn’t exactly have any other signs I’m glad I took them because they both had URIs. I’ve been given liquid Baytril to administer to each of them 1 drop every 12 hours. I’ve attached a picture of the little syringe I was given. However I seem to be having a few issues with this.

I can either squirt the drop directly into their mouths or put it on something they’ll eat. In the past I’ve given them blueberries or apples as treats and they seem to overall enjoy them but occasionally they’ll leave them in their cage and neither of them will eat it so I don’t want to risk them missing a dose if they don’t eat it.

When I try to squirt it into their mouths the little syringe seems to be very sensitive to where even the slightest touch causes it to shoot out. Already I’m down to 6 doses in one syringe and 7 in the other and they were at 10 earlier today. Worst case I could attempt to order more online however I worry about correct dosaging for their weight and such as they’re still pretty young. In addition I just had to pay the vet bill for their visit and medication so I would prefer to not have to pay any more for the time being.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for either administering orally or any food suggestions of something they would eat immediately so I could accurately monitor the dosages they’re getting.

Thanks again!!

Attachments

• DE027823-BF29-4B54-AB24-633D009F6ED8.jpeg
    DE027823-BF29-4B54-AB24-633D009F6ED8.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 149
When I do meds, I measure out the correct amount for the rat into a tiny dish, add a couple of drops of organic real maple syrup (as the meds are not sweetened), add a couple of drops of water, mix and add a tiny amount of baby cereal to thicken it …. My rats thick it is a treat and gobble it down from the dish or lick it off my finger.

On those rare occasions when a rat will not eat it, then I add a few drops of water and using a syringe without a needle I place it into the side of their mouth a tiny bit at a time so that it does not go down into their lungs

Hi - as a very, very last resort (when syringing or hiding food wouldn't work), I'd pop one of my girls in a hospital cage (the one used to carry them around) with only that bit of food. It's not ideal, but normally they get greedy enough after a little while that they eat all of it - and that way you won't accidentally double-dose a rat that doesn't need it.

Boiled rice, a dash of walnut oil, and their Baytril. Works for my rats (especially the one that flatly refuses to take her medicine).

Back