Hello ;)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! I'm also very new to here but have at least a few months experience with ratties :) I adopted two older rats from the pet store, one was an ex pet and the other a feeder. I currently just adopted my first two babies, both meant to be feeders and I allowed them to kind of pick me :)

They need to have companions so two is the absolute minimum, with time and bonding any rat at any age will learn to trust you. They may not always be the cuddliest but its so wonderful to earn the trust of an animal that didn't trust any humans.

Research is wonderful but at the same time hands on is the way to really get the information ;) and i highly recommend rats!

Thanks for the warm welcome :D
My mother thinks dumbo rats are cute, and they're female.
But the other ones that went Dumbo's, are males o.o (odd shelter?..)

What's recommended for a first time owner? I'd like one that loves to play around, possibly likes to sit for a cuddle :eek: I've heard different genders are more..likely? To do different things like sit and cuddle.

Thanks for the warm welcome :D
My mother thinks dumbo rats are cute, and they're female.
But the other ones that went Dumbo's, are males o.o (odd shelter?..)

What's recommended for a first time owner? I'd like one that loves to play around, possibly likes to sit for a cuddle :eek: I've heard different genders are more..likely? To do different things like sit and cuddle.

Our oldest ex pet, Clarence, is a dumbo :) at the petstore they had 3 dumbos but they were all females. If you are wanting to get male and female getting the male neutered is very simple. As long as you have a vet in the area who can do that.

I would recommend going to the petstore and interacting with the ratties as much as you can. Here at petland they are all in tanks in the back so I just asked and went back there to play. I'd stick my hand in and allow them to come to me and I brought them all apples (which I cut up into little pieces and of course took the core out since the seeds are toxic). And then i had the first boy who came up to me and didn't mind being on my shoulder and my second boy just jumped on me and would climb up my arm.

I also suggest going on their time schedule and their speed. Once bringing them home they may need time to adjust or they may want to come out (depending on what the see as a safe place). Allowing them to run around in your sweater is a great way to have them interact with you on their own time :)

I've also ordered and exercise pen for them so that they can get out of their cage but not all over (waiting until they're fully litter trained and respond when I call them.

With my two older ones when I brought them home they got to enjoy their cage and we allowed them to come out on their own. Yeah sometimes we would take Clarence out but now they both come out on their own and although Chloe (the adult feeder we adopted) isn't always the cuddliest she will hop on us and groom herself :)

Basically I think if you allow them to trust you on their own time you'll form a wonderful bond :)

Since so many of us here rescue, I would encourage you to get your rats from a rescue. They will usually have already been checked over, given a medication for mites, and possibly even been spayed or neutered. The rescue will also have had a chance to evaluate their temperament and will know who their buddy is, if they are active or lazy, etc. And the very best part is knowing that you gave some needy rats a forever home! None of my rats have come from a pet store. There are so many that need homes. Most have been off Kijiji.
What area do you live in?

Back