Hello rat community!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talulla

Hi everyone, I am a new rat mom to two adorable almost one year old girls! They are rescues and I don't know much about their life before coming to me through a rescue. Anyways, I have had them for about a month now and was wandering about freeroam: how many times per day do you let your rats out? And how long do that stay active?
Mine seam to be more active in the morning from 7:30 till 9 or so (actually that wake up at about 6, but don't get out 'till 7:30) but then in the evening they just want to sleep an finde some food. Is this normal or should I worry?
Thanks for any advice

Hi everyone, I am a new rat mom to two adorable almost one year old girls! They are rescues and I don't know much about their life before coming to me through a rescue. Anyways, I have had them for about a month now and was wandering about freeroam: how many times per day do you let your rats out? And how long do that stay active?
Mine seam to be more active in the morning from 7:30 till 9 or so (actually that wake up at about 6, but don't get out 'till 7:30) but then in the evening they just want to sleep an finde some food. Is this normal or should I worry?
Thanks for any advice
I'd let my rats out when they're awake and want to come out. They are now completely free roam in my place b/c I have rat proofed it. I don't wake them when they are sleeping as I figure they need their rest. They don't wake me either, although I will sometimes wake a bit when I'm getting licked on the face. LOL

Thank you everyone! Unfortunately I can't rat proof my room entirely, but I have section of a decent area where they are able to run around safely, but I do have to put them back in the cage when I'm not there.
Big Schpog I love that your rats wake you up with kisses, that's so sweet 😍
Mine don't really like to be petted, although I think they don't mind the attention in small doses and if there is food or exploration involved.
Thanks again and 'till next time! 🐁🐀

In order for rats to be really bonded to you, it requires a lot of time spent with them. I am disabled so I spend all day and night with my girls. I met a couple young women yesterday during my walk with 2 of my girls. They couldn't believe how well behaved they were in their front facing backpack. There's no trick to it. It's just socialization skills developed over long periods of time doing things with them and introducing them to new things.

I start taking them out for walks when they're about 6 months old. First, it's just in the hallway to smell and look at new things. Then I gradually take them to the lobby of my building, then outside for a short trip to the corner and back. They LOVE to go out with me. It's gotten to the point that they will REQUEST going out by climbing up my leg and onto my shoulder OR if I'm sitting on the bed, they'll hop on my shoulder. Heh. They do this at night when they're active but I have to tell them that I can't take them at night.

I never wake them. Walk time happens when they naturally wake, have had their breakfast and are ready to go out and are in exploring mode. Sometimes I only take one, sometimes 2 and sometimes all 3.

I have rigged a backpack by unzipping the front and turning the flap halfway down inside. I put a fleece liner inside so they can burrow and wear the backpack on my front so I can see them and they can see me.

You don't have to walk outside with your rats to bond with them though. That's just something I do with mine that they love. You can simply walk to other areas of your home with them.

If you work, I'd take them out (if they're awake) as soon as you get home and have dinner ready. Share your dinner with them. Let them cllimb all over you and be curious about your dinner and give them some, let them take little bits out of your dish or off your fork etc. You have to let them understand that you're their momma/daddy and that all the things they need come from you.

Another thing I do is talk to them at night when they're awake and roaming about. I just talk through my day and they listen. It's comforting for them to hear your voice speaking in a calm manner.

Mine will take some stroking when they're in the mood. When they wake I give them a good morning pet and feed them their breakfast. They they eat and groom and wake up and then whichever rat is ready for walks will get a walk outside or in the hallway.

When I get back they usually run around a bit and then go back to sleep until 8-9 pm. When they wake at night, I've usually already had my dinner and have made theirs, ready for them. I share what I eat with them. Last night we had homemade chicken noodle soup and they all came up on the bed and got to take bits out of my bowl. It was lovely having all 3 of them eating with me. Family time! I share treats with them too. Tiramusu, carrot cake. Whatever dessert I have they get bits of it too.

When I bring home bags of new things, like groceries, I put them on the bed and if they're awake I let them explore inside the bags and smell all the new smells.

I don't hold my rats while they're eating. To me, that's not important. I know people do it and video it and it looks cute but it's not important.

What IS important is rats that have a human family that they do all kinds of things together. It's a rich life for them and you.

Wow, you and your rats are really lucky to have eachother!
I would like to take them on walks and have tried to get them use to staying on my shoulder but they seem to enjoy jumping down unexpectedly sometimes... I'm still new to rats and, although I think I'm getting better, I still can't read their behavior as well as I would like. Do you think that leash training could be a solution to keep them safe(er) if I were to try and bring them on walks?
The having dinner together I did insctintually from the beginning and I do think it helped. One of them was ( and still somewhat is) very skiddish and territorial to the point where she would bite me and brake the skin... She now seems to be settling in and is biting less and less and knowing that my hands bring the food defiantly helped.
When I'm out I always try to look for stuff like cardboard boxes where food was stoard or bamboo branches (which they love with great passion) and things like that to bring home for them to explore and sniff... Tonight I brought tow whine corks ( I'll give them tomorrow so that I'm sure that the alcohol in evaporated).
I do try to spend as much time as I can with them. I'm in uni and at the moment most of the lectures are online so most days they are out from about 8 till 10/11am ( but they usually start going to sleep around 9:30 lol) . At night it's a bit more complicated because they don't really wake up until 8:30/9 pm and, before I got them, I was used to going to sleep at 10 or so and I'm still trying to find a new routine to accommodate all of our needs.
I'm still trying to figure them out... They definitely are not the cuddle type! They even take brakes from eachother often! One of them is quite crazy and will jump around for a while, then jump in the cage, start chewing the cage bars for like 20 sec. and jump out to continue doing something else. As for the other, she is more calm and thoughtful... And dosen't trust mutch of the world. They are so different and I love seeing them slowly opening up to me and their new life; I just hope I can give them a exciting end worthy life.

Wow, you and your rats are really lucky to have eachother!
I would like to take them on walks and have tried to get them use to staying on my shoulder but they seem to enjoy jumping down unexpectedly sometimes... I'm still new to rats and, although I think I'm getting better, I still can't read their behavior as well as I would like. Do you think that leash training could be a solution to keep them safe(er) if I were to try and bring them on walks?
The having dinner together I did insctintually from the beginning and I do think it helped. One of them was ( and still somewhat is) very skiddish and territorial to the point where she would bite me and brake the skin... She now seems to be settling in and is biting less and less and knowing that my hands bring the food defiantly helped.
When I'm out I always try to look for stuff like cardboard boxes where food was stoard or bamboo branches (which they love with great passion) and things like that to bring home for them to explore and sniff... Tonight I brought tow whine corks ( I'll give them tomorrow so that I'm sure that the alcohol in evaporated).
I do try to spend as much time as I can with them. I'm in uni and at the moment most of the lectures are online so most days they are out from about 8 till 10/11am ( but they usually start going to sleep around 9:30 lol) . At night it's a bit more complicated because they don't really wake up until 8:30/9 pm and, before I got them, I was used to going to sleep at 10 or so and I'm still trying to find a new routine to accommodate all of our needs.
I'm still trying to figure them out... They definitely are not the cuddle type! They even take brakes from eachother often! One of them is quite crazy and will jump around for a while, then jump in the cage, start chewing the cage bars for like 20 sec. and jump out to continue doing something else. As for the other, she is more calm and thoughtful... And dosen't trust mutch of the world. They are so different and I love seeing them slowly opening up to me and their new life; I just hope I can give them a exciting end worthy life.
Yes, leash training is fine. Mine jump down and squirm on my arms too but they never JUMP down onto the ground. They just squirm. You get used to it. You could make a little backpack pouch too.

It sounds like you're doing great! It really is nice to have them out for a few hours and you will settle into a routine. With rats you get to be very creative as they love new things. Corks will be a blast for them. You could tie one to a string and have them chase it! Some rats are excellent chasers.

I'm glad the one that has bitten you is stopping that. That's a great sign.

Thanks for all the information!
I'll try my best to train them to bring them on walks... For now I tried to take them to the kitchen and they wanted to hide after a few minutes, so I think in going to be a long process to get them comfortable.

Yeah, they'll sometimes run and hide. I have a solution for that too. Wrap yourself in a blanket and allow them to run down to your arm and hide in it. They'll get used to this and when they feel scared, they'll run down into the blanket. Then they'll poke their little head out again. Some will try to run down the blanket but this all takes time and patience. Short little walks to new places, gentle words of encouragement while walking. I also make sure I say 'You wanna go for a WALK?' before I take them. That way they know we're going for a walk.

I point out landmarks to my girls when we walk. I say 'there's the kitchen, there's the garbage, there's the......'

Eventually, they'll learn where everything is.

Some rats are more skittish about walking. For example, my young, sweet rat Simone is not really into walking. She will only want to go like once every few weeks. She's more of a cuddly ball and loves to just hang out at night on the bed with Momma.

I live in a Heritage building and we have mice. As you know, rats don't get along with mice and will kill them. My girl Simone is a mouse hunter. She's never caught one but she certainly has fun listening for them and trying. At night she comes up on the bed while I'm winding down watching TV and sits right next to me for pets while she scans the floor for the mice. Then she'll take off at full speed off the bed and a few minutes later, comes right back.

My two big walking lovers are Big Schpog and the young Queenie. Queenie has taken to walking so much that she is constantly requesting a walk. She either climbs up my leg and onto my shoulder or she hops onto my shoulder while I'm sitting on my bed, and her latest thing is to try and jump onto my shoulder. She is still young and LOVES walking because I allow her into certain planters to dig with her big sister, Big Schpog. She also will climb onto the door knob! She is asking me to take her for a walk!

I'm lucky that I live in a temperate climate here in BC where we have TONS of planters around.

They also love running on wide ledges that are high enough off the ground. I let them off at one end and it's a race to get to the other. Once I get to the end of the ledge they hop back into their backpack and off we go.

Walk training takes time and tons of patience. They have to have a place to get into to burrow. A backpack worn on your front with the front flap open and folded in half back inside with fleece inside is a must for outdoor walking. I will get some pictures to show you. It's easier to show with pics.

You can also order a harness or make one. I don't use them but if I was to put my girls on the ground I def would use it.

Yeah, they'll sometimes run and hide. I have a solution for that too. Wrap yourself in a blanket and allow them to run down to your arm and hide in it. They'll get used to this and when they feel scared, they'll run down into the blanket. Then they'll poke their little head out again. Some will try to run down the blanket but this all takes time and patience. Short little walks to new places, gentle words of encouragement while walking. I also make sure I say 'You wanna go for a WALK?' before I take them. That way they know we're going for a walk.

I point out landmarks to my girls when we walk. I say 'there's the kitchen, there's the garbage, there's the......'

Eventually, they'll learn where everything is.

Some rats are more skittish about walking. For example, my young, sweet rat Simone is not really into walking. She will only want to go like once every few weeks. She's more of a cuddly ball and loves to just hang out at night on the bed with Momma.

I live in a Heritage building and we have mice. As you know, rats don't get along with mice and will kill them. My girl Simone is a mouse hunter. She's never caught one but she certainly has fun listening for them and trying. At night she comes up on the bed while I'm winding down watching TV and sits right next to me for pets while she scans the floor for the mice. Then she'll take off at full speed off the bed and a few minutes later, comes right back.

My two big walking lovers are Big Schpog and the young Queenie. Queenie has taken to walking so much that she is constantly requesting a walk. She either climbs up my leg and onto my shoulder or she hops onto my shoulder while I'm sitting on my bed, and her latest thing is to try and jump onto my shoulder. She is still young and LOVES walking because I allow her into certain planters to dig with her big sister, Big Schpog. She also will climb onto the door knob! She is asking me to take her for a walk!

I'm lucky that I live in a temperate climate here in BC where we have TONS of planters around.

They also love running on wide ledges that are high enough off the ground. I let them off at one end and it's a race to get to the other. Once I get to the end of the ledge they hop back into their backpack and off we go.

Walk training takes time and tons of patience. They have to have a place to get into to burrow. A backpack worn on your front with the front flap open and folded in half back inside with fleece inside is a must for outdoor walking. I will get some pictures to show you. It's easier to show with pics.

You can also order a harness or make one. I don't use them but if I was to put my girls on the ground I def would use it.

Are there any dogs in your area? I'd love to walk with my rats, but I'm scared dogs might smell them and scare them, since there are lots of dogs in my area.

There are dogs but they are on leashes and I'm very careful with where I allow them to go. The ledges are my height and dogs can't access them. The dig boxes are enclosed and off the ground and I sit and watch right next to it very carefully. I will get pictures of where to show you. I will also let them go on park benches. Never on the ground. NEVER.

From what I've seen with my rats, dogs are much less scarier then cats... Maybe it's because they have grown up with a dog at home for half their life but they never showed fear thoword him.
Anyways, I don't know if I will ever have the confidence to let them run on ledges outside... I'm quite the paranoid mama😅
Also I'm in a pretty busy area and I've seen a few rat poison traps so when we get to the point of going out I think I will keep them on me or in the backpack.

And speaking of paranoia...
Maybe I should do another thread for this but I was wandering about sneezing in rats: I know they are generally not a good sign, I know about new home sniffle but do rats get them also when the season changes? Mine seam to alternate between periods of almost no sneezing to days where it becomes a bit concerning. But as soon as I get a vet appointment or I want to start some sort of treatment it stops again (last time I brought them to the vet she said that they seemed healthy to her). Could they be genetigly predisposed? I know that they most probably don't come from a good breeder line so maybe it could have some thing to do with that... They seam happy and active in all other respects, eating and drinking with no problems.
Thanks again for all the infos!😀

From what I've seen with my rats, dogs are much less scarier then cats... Maybe it's because they have grown up with a dog at home for half their life but they never showed fear thoword him.
Anyways, I don't know if I will ever have the confidence to let them run on ledges outside... I'm quite the paranoid mama😅
Also I'm in a pretty busy area and I've seen a few rat poison traps so when we get to the point of going out I think I will keep them on me or in the backpack.

And speaking of paranoia...
Maybe I should do another thread for this but I was wandering about sneezing in rats: I know they are generally not a good sign, I know about new home sniffle but do rats get them also when the season changes? Mine seam to alternate between periods of almost no sneezing to days where it becomes a bit concerning. But as soon as I get a vet appointment or I want to start some sort of treatment it stops again (last time I brought them to the vet she said that they seemed healthy to her). Could they be genetigly predisposed? I know that they most probably don't come from a good breeder line so maybe it could have some thing to do with that... They seam happy and active in all other respects, eating and drinking with no problems.
Thanks again for all the infos!😀
I notice two of my rats, the babies I adopted, are sneezers. However, they just got a clean bill of health from a vet only a few weeks ago. I'm very good about cleaning their sleep spots. I change their fleece every day. I spot clean my floors every day, I mop with hot water and a touch of vinegar. I keep this place clean.

My youngsters are active, happy and so forth. They just tend to be sneezy sometimes.

Thanks for any advice
My rats adjust to my schedule, but generally, yes, they wake up very early, 3 or 4am, eat, play and wait for me to get up and give them attention or just a treat, as well as a.m. meds. Then I do spot cleans, bowl refills, water refills, etc. Once I leave they bed down again around 9 or 10am until I get home around 5pm, but sometimes they're already up, sometimes they stay sleeping until 6 or 7pm. But they're always up by 8pm, which is when they get their free range or roaming times. I have lots of rescues and many don't get along with the others, so they have to come out in steps,Cor batches, lol. But they ALL get their own individual times with me when I can love them and let them do their thing. Around 10pm I take out any hospice cases and give them the most intense, but gentle, individual attention. They are usually either dying or something else is very wrong to be in hospice, so I often have to feed them special diets and sometimes by hand, which takes awhile, and is considered part of their free range time. Once they are done I either keep them out as a sort of special treat, or take out a single rat for late night quiet time when they can just snooze with me or watch TV! Many love to watch a movie with us! Occasionally I forget to put them back, especially when they go to sleep in the hospice carrier, which is always on the nightstand on one side of my bed, with an open door policy. Only once did I have a rat who was totally determined to get off the bed. He started to get HLD, likely due to his unique method of "falling" off the bed, he would slowly slip down the bed's edge until he couldn't lower himself any further, then he'd just let go! He had surgery for a tumor, then continued to fall off the bed whenever I turned away for a second, and he would then make his way to the door, open it with his teeth, cross the living room, kitchen, and hallway to the slider, again, open it with his teeth, and cross the back deck to the yard. He was an outdoor rattie if I ever had one! His HLD worsened and he went downhill fast. I had to PTS when he couldn't pull himself along the floor anymore. He was very unhappy by this point and just wasn't the kind of rat that would be ok with the old helping hand to push or lift their butt to walk them around. He just wouldn't ever be able to live with that drop in quality of life. Poor Sway. He was a one of a kind, just could not be kept from making his way outside, lol. Was always hearing someone calling me to say that one of my rats had escaped again, lol. Anyway, he was special. As for my ratties bedtime? Any time AFTER I go to bed, lol!!!

I notice two of my rats, the babies I adopted, are sneezers. However, they just got a clean bill of health from a vet only a few weeks ago. I'm very good about cleaning their sleep spots. I change their fleece every day. I spot clean my floors every day, I mop with hot water and a touch of vinegar. I keep this place clean.

My youngsters are active, happy and so forth. They just tend to be sneezy sometimes.

Ok, so it's probably "just" poor genetics... I will keep a close eye on them as I'm always notecing fluxes in their sneeziness lol
As for cleaning I will try vinegar once it's time to moop the floor again. My vet suggested using paper towels or toilet paper as nesting materials and I have noticed a decrease in sneezing since than (they were sneezing a lot more than now before switching).

My rats adjust to my schedule, but generally, yes, they wake up very early, 3 or 4am, eat, play and wait for me to get up and give them attention or just a treat, as well as a.m. meds. Then I do spot cleans, bowl refills, water refills, etc. Once I leave they bed down again around 9 or 10am until I get home around 5pm, but sometimes they're already up, sometimes they stay sleeping until 6 or 7pm. But they're always up by 8pm, which is when they get their free range or roaming times. I have lots of rescues and many don't get along with the others, so they have to come out in steps,Cor batches, lol. But they ALL get their own individual times with me when I can love them and let them do their thing. Around 10pm I take out any hospice cases and give them the most intense, but gentle, individual attention. They are usually either dying or something else is very wrong to be in hospice, so I often have to feed them special diets and sometimes by hand, which takes awhile, and is considered part of their free range time. Once they are done I either keep them out as a sort of special treat, or take out a single rat for late night quiet time when they can just snooze with me or watch TV! Many love to watch a movie with us! Occasionally I forget to put them back, especially when they go to sleep in the hospice carrier, which is always on the nightstand on one side of my bed, with an open door policy. Only once did I have a rat who was totally determined to get off the bed. He started to get HLD, likely due to his unique method of "falling" off the bed, he would slowly slip down the bed's edge until he couldn't lower himself any further, then he'd just let go! He had surgery for a tumor, then continued to fall off the bed whenever I turned away for a second, and he would then make his way to the door, open it with his teeth, cross the living room, kitchen, and hallway to the slider, again, open it with his teeth, and cross the back deck to the yard. He was an outdoor rattie if I ever had one! His HLD worsened and he went downhill fast. I had to PTS when he couldn't pull himself along the floor anymore. He was very unhappy by this point and just wasn't the kind of rat that would be ok with the old helping hand to push or lift their butt to walk them around. He just wouldn't ever be able to live with that drop in quality of life. Poor Sway. He was a one of a kind, just could not be kept from making his way outside, lol. Was always hearing someone calling me to say that one of my rats had escaped again, lol. Anyway, he was special. As for my ratties bedtime? Any time AFTER I go to bed, lol!!!
Now that my babies are adjusting more and more to their new home I'm notecing that they have a strange routine: they will sometimes stay up all night and sleep when they get their freeroam time in the morning and early evening. This usually lasts a couple of days an then they switch and stay up all morning till 10/11am, sleep till 4 pm (even 3pm sometimes) and then want to come out for a few hours. Around 10pm I will put them back in the cage as they usually stat getting very sleepy.

I never had them run away but I can relate to the strange jumping down from places, but I don't know how to stop them as some times they are too quick. I didn't know that that could lead to hind leg digeneration... I'll try my best to limit this then.

So sorry you lost your boy like that, I can only imagen what one goes through in this types of situation... I tear up when ever I hear stories of animals passing, especially when they are pets and am so scared for my own (a also have a dog with a heart condition who is between 12/14 years old). The only consolation is that we have them the best life we could offer, and given how the world is, it's something very special I think. Hope your other rats are all enjoying their lives!

Hi Rocket. I see you're from MA. I'm originally from there. Born in Boston! I miss my hometown for sure! Any chance we could see pics of your ratties?

Now that my babies are adjusting more and more to their new home I'm notecing that they have a strange routine: they will sometimes stay up all night and sleep when they get their freeroam time in the morning and early evening. This usually lasts a couple of days an then they switch and stay up all morning till 10/11am, sleep till 4 pm (even 3pm sometimes) and then want to come out for a few hours. Around 10pm I will put them back in the cage as they usually stat getting very sleepy.

I never had them run away but I can relate to the strange jumping down from places, but I don't know how to stop them as some times they are too quick. I didn't know that that could lead to hind leg digeneration... I'll try my best to limit this then.

So sorry you lost your boy like that, I can only imagen what one goes through in this types of situation... I tear up when ever I hear stories of animals passing, especially when they are pets and am so scared for my own (a also have a dog with a heart condition who is between 12/14 years old). The only consolation is that we have them the best life we could offer, and given how the world is, it's something very special I think. Hope your other rats are all enjoying their lives!
Yep, The strange routines are all part of growing up rattie! They're just like humans who want to stay up all night and party and then sleep all day. Young rats are little explorers and they LOVE to jump down from things to explore. All my girls tried getting off the bed and everntually, I allowed them once I rat proofed my room.

It's ok to let them down if you've rat proofed. They're going to keep trying to get off the bed anyway so it's best to rat proof early.

Yep, The strange routines are all part of growing up rattie! They're just like humans who want to stay up all night and party and then sleep all day. Young rats are little explorers and they LOVE to jump down from things to explore. All my girls tried getting off the bed and everntually, I allowed them once I rat proofed my room.

It's ok to let them down if you've rat proofed. They're going to keep trying to get off the bed anyway so it's best to rat proof early.
I call them babies but in a month they will be one year old😅
It's great to know that it is normal for them to have such a strange routine ( I read somewhere that it is a really bed sign when rats are up in the middle of the day, so, beeing the paranoid and overthinking type, I was somewhat worried😅 )... I myself am not very contistant when in comes to keeping a schedule so I may be influencing them.
Unfortunately I can't rat proof my entire room but I did section off almost half of it for them; they have a lot of floor space and a few shelves that they have taken over😂. Plus a big digbox and cardboard boxes that periodically change. They also have sometimes acscess to my desk, thow I have to be careful as they like to chew chords ( found out the hard way when they got to the ethernet cable. Thankfully I never had them near high voltage chords...) Plus they can be distractingly cute 😁

Ok, so it's probably "just" poor genetics... I will keep a close eye on them as I'm always notecing fluxes in their sneeziness lol
As for cleaning I will try vinegar once it's time to moop the floor again. My vet suggested using paper towels or toilet paper as nesting materials and I have noticed a decrease in sneezing since than (they were sneezing a lot more than now before switching).
I use newspaper. As long as there's not much colored ink. Black is non toxic and my rats looooooove to rip it up, tear it to pieces, shred it into tiny bedding, which is as soft as anything. And.... It's free and plentiful lol. I also line the bottom of the cages with it and just remove one piece at a time to spot clean pee and poops. It makes for fast, easy, clean cage cleaning and rattie cleaning, lol. I still have some bad little ratties that still insist on only using their litter trays until there's some poop in it, then they want a new, clean toilet.

Back