Hello! I need help sexing my new rats!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleeceOcean

20180316_142535.jpg
20180316_142442.jpg
20180316_142636.jpg
Hi! I'm a new rat owner, and I just took home three double rex babies. However, I have no idea what gendrs they are. I'm pretty sure atleast two of them are males. I'd appreciate any help!

any nipples? (Girls have 12 nipples, boys only have a belly button)
looks like 2 girls and 3rd might be a baby boy

See https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/anyone-able-to-tell-me-gender-of-baby-rats.31176/#post-456863

How old are they?
Assume 5 or 6 weeks as babies need to stay with mom until 5 weeks (girls stay until at least 6 weeks)
Babies need to be separated by sex at 5 weeks old

Rats need to live with other rats so unless all at the same sex, you will need to get a 4th baby and either spay the girls (good for health reasons) or neuter the boys, when they are old enough, and you will need to have a good vet with the knowledge and experience to do it safely - most vets don't

Last edited:
I actually don't know how old they are, since I got them from a local pet store. I'm assuming around 5 weeks. I haven't seen any nipples on any of them, but I haven't seen much of a "bulge" indicating any testes either. Thank you for the input! I'll keep a close eye on them and see if I can determine anything.

then it is possible that they are younger then 5 weeks old, pet stores often separate babies from their mamas much too young, imo
Once they get hair, it can be difficult to see nipples ...... you might be able to where they are double rex, depending on how their hair is growing

I am sure some others such as lilspaz68 or Jorats can do much better then I at telling you the sex of your babies

Last edited:
Oh, thank you! I'll message them. I didn't know pet stores seperate their rats so early, next time I'll have to buy from a breeder!

That's right, i forgot rescuing was an option! I'll have to look around my area and see if there are any shelters that have rats in need of homes next time around :)

Great idea!! :) ........ in addition to shelters there are also rats in rat rescues, rats being rehomed, accidental litters being rehomed on Kijiji or craigslist etc

Maybe others will pitch in too and give their opinions on the sex of your sweet new babies

Back