Hello from Nova Scotia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniFrog

Hello there, I just signed up, very interested in rats, and currently have 5 of my own, even though I had more, babies, but just found homes for them. I started with Missy, but then a few days later, went back for her sister Snowy. Later, from the same pet store that I got my girls from, which was going out of business, I ended up bringing home Curtis and Logan. But then decided to go back for Abby and Sampson. RIP Curtis though, he died the day before I got married, not sure the cause though, only had him for a couple of weeks. I'm also hoping to one day get into breeding, as the research I have done so far sounds interesting and fun. Not sure if there are enough non-snakers out there to adopt around here, lol. Pictures to come soon, as soon as I charge up the batteries for my camera, lol!

Welcome MiniFrog!!
Ratties really are addicting aren't they? I've done that so many times, run back to the store to get the siblings. lol

Thanks everyone who gave me such a nice welcome!! I have pictures now, lol. Thought I would also add one of Curtis, since he was the cutest looking I have ever owned (I am having issues with photobucket, and for some reason will not let me add the picture of Sampson, but he looks like Logan, with more black, but less black than Missy....it might also be due to my dial up >.< ):

Image058.jpg

He is on top of Sampson there.

2007_0918Image0018.jpg

Logan

2007_0918Image0009.jpg

Snowy

2007_0918Image0012.jpg

Missy

2007_0918Image0015.jpg

Abby

Hi. Welcome!
You do have especially lovely babies!

Please reconsider breeding, as you will see here there are so many homeless ones (or ones in bad situations as they are considered cheap pets and not always given the proper care) without making more.
You'll also find many horror stories of litters where the kids are doomed to early bad ends because they were bred for looks or 'fun' with no consideration for whether they carried healthy genes or not. You can't know whether they have problem genetics unless you know their history for many generations.

My Wanda is a prime example.
http://jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=785&start=0
Her and many siblings came into rescue after being dumped at the spca. And I'm soon to take Astoria because she is alone as Harriet just died. Astoria & Harriet were both Wanda's sisters and both had tumors removed the same day as Wanda, and both had recurrences. One after another of this group (boys & girls) has developed multiple tumors and many have died after going thru surgery to remove them and then months of difficult end-days when they returned. It's heartbreaking for those who take them in and love them.

If you really intend to breed, please research the stories here first. And be sure your breeders have many healthy generations, not knowing how Curtis died for instance it may be a good thing he didn't leave behind babies who might have inherited his problems. And be prepared to rush mom or babies to the emergency vet if there are complications - it can be expensive. And available homes for the babies aren't always good homes as you will see from the conditions people here have rescued ratties in and from :cry:

And don't mind me, I speak effusively on any subject that captures my attenton.
I think many people have learned to to brush me off when I'm not being of use. Don't judge the rest of the members by me, ok?

Don't worry, I am still doing research, and I would never breed the guys I have right now, as a breeder, since they are pet store rats, and Curtis was smaller than the other 2 males, so that might have had something to do with it, since there was nothing physcial wrong with him. I am already familar with some medical things, being an LPN, and I am aware that rats have different medical conditions than humans, but I like to think that having my expirence makes it easier for me to learn about their health :wink:

I am also looking for breeders online, near me, for tips and what not (if/when I become a breeder, I would get the breeding rats from a fellow breeder) so don't worry. I used to breed mice, my friends would want one, and I would end up with the rest, cages of mice, back before the other rodents, because I would not take them to the pet store, so I am also somewhat familar with not breeding too often, lol!

Yay! My photobucket issues are gone! So heres a picture of Sampson:

2007_0918Image0019.jpg

I have to resize them now, since I forgot to at moms, but I will make sure to get the best ones on here :lol:

Back