Hello from me and my new babies :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balladofdusk

Hello everybody. :D

My name is Deborah and I'm a vet student with a passion for rodents. I've worked with various animals in the past including many many rats but I have only had one rat of my own in the past. She wasn't with another rat because she would kill another rat if she had the chance - but other animals and people she loved. I took her everywhere with me, even to cafés where she wasn't supposed to be ;) And if we went on a long car trip, she went with us. Car rides were her favorite thing. Everyone who met her loved her and even if they hated rats, after meeting her they loved them.

I miss her terribly and I told myself after she passed away that I wouldn't get another rat for a long time because the heartache was too much. Uh, yeah. Since there aren't any rescues local to me and nobody had rats to give away, today I took an impromptu journey to the pet store and got this pair. :D

Their names are Ann and Nancy. :D

tumblr_pfxi33bVc21wqvt5vo1_500.jpg

Congratulations on your new babies and so sorry about the loss of your last girl! She sounds like a real sweetheart!

I hope that when you're a vet you decide to specialize in exotics!

Thank you so much! :D

I'd love to specialize in mixed practice, but my areas of most interest are dogs, small animals(eg. rats, mice, guinea pigs and other rodents, as well as ferrets and rabbits) and surgery of wild animals(so, most probably, animals in zoos and sanctuaries). Whatever I do, I hope it includes exotics too. :D

Congrats ! Very sweet girls.
I hope you will consider getting them spayed, if you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely spay rats (no injectable anesthetics, only gas)
https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/

Thank you! :)
I am definitely considering it. The vet who operated on my first rat(she had recurring tumors and had to have three operations) was the only vet I trusted with her but he has since retired. Another vet who does small animal practice here is actually my vet studies tutor so I will be asking him about it as well.

Last edited:
They are to cute!! The community you will be in will get a great vet when you start practicing!

Back