Hello from Australia!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-Ratties-x

Hey :)
I'm a first time rat owner and in high-school right now, and have been researching on rats for a while now, and just 1 week ago I finally got my first 2 boys- at 6 weeks old! They are little sweethearts, so full of personality.
Their names are Juniper and Sprocket and they're brothers! Juniper is the beige hooded and Sprocket is the white one! I have had a few concerns but as a first time owner I'm not sure if they are something to be concerned about:

So Sprocket has been having a bit of Porphyrin, just around his eyes, but its been there for the past week, is this something to be worried about?

Also, they have been climbing on the bars on the cage when they're in an energetic mood.

And lastly, they don't know how to use ramps, I have a cage similar size to a critter nation, because they're not available here in Australia. Anyway, they have been climbing up the bars to get to the mini level, (they have been living on the top floor). Only one of them, Juniper, has actually used the ramp to get up. They have a whole other 2 levels and haven't worked out how to use the ramp to get down, is this something that comes with time or is there something i should do to help them figure it out?
Thanks!

1589160502482.png

1589160562898.png

Hi I’m a new rat owner! If they still do not use the ramps I pick up my rats and plop me on to let them know they are able to use it. I am also a first time rat owner and I just graduated high school! As for the porphyrin if your rattie is continuing to have this it can be a sign of illness. However from what I have read a little is mostly normal. Let me know if anything new arrives!

Congrats on the babies.! The porphyrin I wouldn't worry about too much if they're still settling in and they look very healthy. Bar climbing is completely normal. All of my rats do this and most even prefer them over ramps.! Some people just remove the ramps entirely and put tons of rope and such instead because rats love to climb~

Welcome to the forum :)
Cute littke boys
All rats have porphyrin but as others have mentioned, excessive porphyrin can be a sign that something is wrong such as illness. He is likely fine but keep an eye on him, including his breathing Health Guide: Porphyrin Secretions / Red Tears
They will figure out the ramps and find the other levels ….. they are still very young babies as they were just weaned last week.

Please check our Reference Thread for a variety of good information about rats, their care, diet, cages, toys etc REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Back