Hello! First time rat owner here!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chels

Hi! I have just acquired two lovely male dumbo rats about one week ago. My friend was rehoming the two 5-month old boys and I was very interested in rats as pets anyway so here we are! I absolutely adore them and I've been working hard to do my research as a new rat owner.

The brown and white rat is Pippin, he's very outgoing and friendly. During free roam time he always comes running for some cuddles! The white one is Merry; he's more shy but I've seen a big difference even just in the week since getting them. (He's also very difficult to take photos of.... haha.)

They really lacked in enrichment in their last home so I've been having such a great time taking them out for free play time and decking out their cage with lots of activities!!

I'm excited to learn on this forum. :)

Attachments

• sjneqZk4TI6rnZMoNhmMyQ.jpg
    sjneqZk4TI6rnZMoNhmMyQ.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_5889.JPG
    IMG_5889.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 211
  • vlk%a+sPQEuwY99vx%roxQ.jpg
    vlk%a+sPQEuwY99vx%roxQ.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 241
I saw the food in the first picture.. Is that a hamster mix? They are very bad for rats and don't give them the required nutrients to be healthy. Welcome to the forums and I hope that people can help if you need it.!

I saw the food in the first picture.. Is that a hamster mix? They are very bad for rats and don't give them the required nutrients to be healthy. Welcome to the forums and I hope that people can help if you need it.!

It is not. :) It's Oxbow adult rat food with some sunflower seeds as a snack.

I recognized the food right away! LOL mine also like an occasional pumpkin seed as well. I think they are supposed to be better for them than sunflower. Welcome to the forum! Some cute ratties you got there! If you haven't already, check out the reference thread. Some really helpful info there. You may also like to look at www.ratguide.com for health stuff, and www.joinrats.com for some other helpful info!

I recognized the food right away! LOL mine also like an occasional pumpkin seed as well. I think they are supposed to be better for them than sunflower. Welcome to the forum! Some cute ratties you got there! If you haven't already, check out the reference thread. Some really helpful info there. You may also like to look at www.ratguide.com for health stuff, and www.joinrats.com for some other helpful info!

Thanks for the pumpkin seed tip! I'll see if I can get my hands on some for the boys. I'll also check out the links!

Back