Hello all!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaRat4

I become a rat mom about a 1 1/2 yr ago when my daughter choose 2 as pets. After loosing interest shortly there after I took them over. I love my little dudes but have been pretty heart broken. Almost a year ago I added 2 Russian Blues to the gang. A few months ago one of the original boys died of what the vet reckoned was cancer. It was horrible to watch him go. I found him in the cage having a seizure that didn’t end until moments before he passed. He was only 15 months old.
Last night I was mortified to find another little boy dead in the cage looking very relaxed in his spudnik. Neither of these baby boys had shown signs of illness. I can‘t get past the fact that this boy, Cooper, had no symptoms of anything at all. And I hate the fact that I didn’t know he wand wasn‘t with him when he passed. So now I have a boy that is creeping up to 2 yrs and the younger one is now 1.
I’m paranoid now!

It was probably genetic. Keep a close watch on your other two. At least you're not stuck with just one little guy. I would think about getting more though, but at least you have some time to do it.

It was probably genetic. Keep a close watch on your other two. At least you're not stuck with just one little guy. I would think about getting more though, but at least you have some time to do it.

I got the first 2 boys at a pet shop not knowing any better. The 2 blues I got from a breeder & to honest I didn’t know much about this breeder. I started to think about adding to the gang when the first one passed away but I honestly thought that I would be adding for the 2 younger boys. The surviving older boy is a bit of a bully so I’m not sure how he’ll behave with newbies. He doesn’t bite but he chases then away or pushes them away with his body. I do realize they need a larger group and am planning to block off the bottom half of their double heigh critter nation in preparation. Not in a hurry though..Any advice on how to find a good breeder would be appreciated though. Thanks

Back