Hello all you ratasis'sis keepers

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff

Good afternoon,

I just found your little community and am hoping some people here can be of assistance.

My wife and I started keeping rats about 15 years ago in vancouver, BC. We had 6 different bloodlines at the time and used to play around with breeding genetics. Things were going really good until we lost 2 bloodlines to pregancy issues and one to health issues. This shut down our breeding program and we never started it back up.

Since then we have only kept them as pets, my favorite being the dumbos or the even better dumbo rex. We moved from vancouver to new brunswick and ever since we have had a hard time finding good sources to get rats from. We have purchased rats from pets unlimited (shut down now) but they always had health issues, and we have gotten a few from petsmart, but it is very clear that those rats have never been handled by humans ever and probably come from a feeder breeder or something.

So we are desperately trying to find a source for pet rats in our area. I have seen a few people on here in new brunswick, so hopefully they can help out. We live in the st stephen area of the province but can easily get up to saint john or fredericton, or even moncton if needed (but its 3 hours away). So if you know of anyone or place is new brunswick that is a good source for pet rats please either post here or PM me directly. Our kids are dying to have some as pets from the stories we've told them :)

Other then that, I look forward to interacting with everyone on here :)

Thank you;

Geoff

Welcome to the forum :)

This is a rescue based forum so ..... I would urge you to help rats that are in need
There are many rescue rats in NB that are in need of good homes.
I have been involved in rat rescue for more then 13 years. I and other long time rat owners throughout Canada will tell you that in our experience rescue rats have no more health issues then breeder rats. Diet, care, health care, and spaying rats young make a huge difference.
However, rats in the Maritimes (and likely other places) often develop heart issues (which can be treated)
The best rat vet I am aware of in NB is Dr Stewart in New Maryland, just outside of Fredericton.

I am aware of rescue babies in Saint John and in Moncton that are in need of good homes, as well as teens and adults in various areas of NB. I have posted about them in the 3rd party rescue section.

btw, at present the double CN is on sale at petsmart (also by Midwest but sold in petsmart under a different name)
As you likely are likely aware, this is the best cage for rats, although it is far from perfect and there are a few concerns about it such as powder coating, welding, the doors.

Welcome to the Rat Shack! When I am looking to add to my colonies, I always search rat rescues or even online ads like kijiji or Craigs list.

Welcome!

The local Humane Society might be a good place to check for rats. We’ve gotten a few that way over the years. Best of luck finding new fuzzies to love. :)

Hi could you tell me what the concerns are? Especially the "coating" one??

Powder coating means that the paint is baked on, this prevents rust. The powder coating is not always well done so check your cage when you purchase it. Plus the inside of the posts are not ever powder coated. If not properly powder coated, exchange the cage

Check the welding and make sure it is strong. If there is a problem exchange the cage. In a few cases the stand was not properly welded and in one case a bar fell off and killed a rat out playing under the cage.

The doors are great, except if bumped from underneath when open, the heavy door can pop off, falling onto the floor. Rats out playing have been killed by doors accidently falling on them.

It is the best cage available for pet rats, just a few things to be careful about

Just to clarify, we don't support breeding on this forum as it is a rescue forum
There are breeders but not any good ethical breeders in the Maritimes (or else where) ....... and it is almost impossible to find good homes for rats in NB

Last edited:
Yes the Critter nation cages are awesome. We've had one for 8 years now. I even built in a custom full 2nd floor for added space if needed.

I have no issues with rescue raties, as long as they aren't too old as that would be hard on the kids. Also, so far i have struck out on this front. Any rats that do pop up are very quickly snatched.

Yes, most main stream breeders are volume and not quality based and dont give rest periods for animals and such. I am more interested in the hobby or "for fun" breeders. When my wife and i were doing it before we had a network of about 30 people doing the same kind of thing. All of us breed humanely with the animals best welfare in mind. Does anyone know of anyone doing this kind of thing in new brunswick? If i can find some good bloodlines i might even start up a small scale genetic breeding program to help fill the void :)

Last edited:
This is a great forum for rat owners and I hope you stick around as all rat owners are welcome, but looking for backyard breeders or planning for breeding etc are not topics you can discuss on this forum.
This is a rescue forum
and there is a big difference between humane and ethical.
IMO, there is no void in NB, and rats being rehomed or sold in NB rarely end up in good homes

As for rescues, please check the rescue section as there are a number of rats in NB in need .... I added 4 more today, also the Moncton SPCA often has rats available for adoption, and as Jorats suggested, keep checking Kijiji etc

Last edited:
Back