HEHE Funny

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

Ok, maybe this wasn't funny, but I thought it was cute.

Yesterday Wayne took down the wheel in the girls cage because they are just not using it AT ALL. Not once, never. So he took the wheel apart and made a shelf out of it. Don't worry he made sure there weren't any sharp pieces or anything. We might have to put something down to make it less slippery but still it looks good. Anyways I have gotten away from why I am typing this. Wayne wanted one of the girls to get up their and see if it was study. So he was trying to pick up Hazel and everytime he touched her she jumped away. I started to realize what was up with that. So as she was at the edge of the cage he put his hand behind her and held it there (not being mean or anything he was actually trying to convince her to come out onto my arm) but as soon as he touched her hind end her ears vibrated so fast and for such a long time. I had never seen it like that before. After that I told him it was probably a good idea to leave her alone. But it was cute though...

I guess interesting now with three female rats, it seems at least one of them is in heat everyday (I know not really but it seems that way sometimes).

The girls' cute little hops and jumps and vibrating ears can make life quite interesting... especially since the other cage buddies will accommodate and try to make them feel better, at least try. lol

:lol: I always enjoyed it when my girls were in heat, too. It's so funny. I would always scratch their back real fast (kinda tickle them) and they would leap like frogs and vibrate their ears.

Um ok dumb question. :oops: I have had several rats before, and most of them have been females and mostly only one at a time until now. I now have 2 girls. I heard several of you talking about spade and neuter your ratties if they are in cages together. I guess I never thought about a rat "going in heat" like a female cat! So what age do they do this and what are signs so I know what they are doing when they do it so I don't freak out and think they are sick or anything? (I just lost a sweet girl so now I am paranoid of everything the babies do afraid of them getting sick too). So do I do anything or just let it run its course or what? Do they get nasty and mean to their cage mates when they are in heat? Is it unhealthy to leave them and not have them spade if they are in a cage with all girls? Sorry so many questions I just never thought about rats going in heat and the ones I have had in the past I must of not know what they were doing when/if they did it.

Females can go into heat as young as 5 weeks. It's quite comical when you see them. They do little hops, wiggle their ears, they become a bit more frisky. But nothing serious. They don't get mean or hurt the other cage mate, in fact sometimes the cage mate will mount them.

As Jo said some cagemates will mount them. I have three unspayed and they chase each other around the cage. You might notice that a rat in heat might be harder to pick up. They are definately more jumpy.

Thanks. So mine may already be doing that, sometimes when I go up to the cage Bailey goes nuts and does little flips and spazes out and runs all over, but I cant tell if it is that or she is just playing. So I assume it is safe as they are, dont have to worry about spaying them ever....unless I bring in a male, which I wouldnt.

September555 said:
Thanks. So mine may already be doing that, sometimes when I go up to the cage Bailey goes nuts and does little flips and spazes out and runs all over, but I cant tell if it is that or she is just playing. So I assume it is safe as they are, dont have to worry about spaying them ever....unless I bring in a male, which I wouldnt.
LOL! It is so funny when they do the little jumps.

I only tend to see it late late at night... and I had never really noticed it in Emma before but as she gets older I see it more and more. I scritch her bum and she wiggles and throws her head in the air and then FREEZES with her body completely rigid and pointed upwards. The hilarity.

Back