The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nahla

Hello Rat Family,

I have a fairly healthy two year old girl, aside from the occasional sneeze. I took her to the vet and they put her on enrofloxacin (also baytril I believe, but i declined that medication due to lack of funds). She has seemed to sneeze a bit less now, but I've been thinking that her sneezes may just be environmental? I'm planning on getting her new buddies tomorrow since her sister passed two weeks ago. I doubt that she has anything contagious, but I just want to be completely sure. Also, she has no discharge coming from her eyes or nose, no labored breathing, she eats, sleeps, drinks, and moves normally, and the vet said that her lungs sound clear.

On a side note, she also has a lump in her groin area. I highly doubt I'd be able to pay for her surgery though, since I just graduated college and am still looking for a job atm. I would appreciate it so so much if you guys could donate/read/share my gofundme page. Thank you so much everyone!

https://www.gofundme.com/963de5-hel...07539807-0ab061a656b545d8&pc=ot_co_campmgmt_w

Attachments

• IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 168
I would be more concerned about the babies giving her something because older rats will have weaker immune systems, so be sure to do a quarantine of the babies before introducing them.
Depending on the size and how new it is, the lump could be a mammary tumor, a cyst, or an abscess. If it came up quickly or overnight and has any kind of scab or indication that it’s opening, it’s probably an abscess. Abscesses and cysts should be fairly harmless and resolve on their own unless there are problems. Mammary Tumors are only an issue and should be removed if they are cancerous (apparently cancerous lumps sometimes have a purple colour to them) or if they are so large that the rat is having trouble functioning normally, so it’s not necessarily something you need to worry about immediately.
Sneezing is probably fine if it’s getting better. Some vets are just overly cautious, but you should get some Baytril soon if it gets worse.
Good luck finding a job and with the new babies! I’m sure you’ll find something soon.

Maybe you can try to get a good rat rescue that provides vet & medical care, to take all of your rats
too bad you don't have a credit card for your pets vet bills

good luck finding a job

I would be more concerned about the babies giving her something because older rats will have weaker immune systems, so be sure to do a quarantine of the babies before introducing them.
Depending on the size and how new it is, the lump could be a mammary tumor, a cyst, or an abscess. If it came up quickly or overnight and has any kind of scab or indication that it’s opening, it’s probably an abscess. Abscesses and cysts should be fairly harmless and resolve on their own unless there are problems. Mammary Tumors are only an issue and should be removed if they are cancerous (apparently cancerous lumps sometimes have a purple colour to them) or if they are so large that the rat is having trouble functioning normally, so it’s not necessarily something you need to worry about immediately.
Sneezing is probably fine if it’s getting better. Some vets are just overly cautious, but you should get some Baytril soon if it gets worse.
Good luck finding a job and with the new babies! I’m sure you’ll find something soon.

Her lump has gotten slightly bigger, but hasn't really spread anywhere else. I had a hairless rat in 2017 who developed a horrendous malignant tumor which began very little but grew rapidly in size. Within a month or so it had opened up a crater in her groin the size of a ping pong ball. This lump seems different, so I'm hoping for the best! Thank you for your reassurance. I got my new babies this past Friday, and am now going through the quarantine process. As for her sneezing, it has either improved a little or not really changed at all. It doesn't happen too much, so I'm thinking she's fine. Thanks!

Back